sixty-seven

Part 1 of 2

Part 1 of 2

The Morning After/ Saturday Morning

I woke up to a loud ringing sound coming from my cellphone. The default apple ringtone could be heard. Laying on the left side of the bed, the light shining from the window practically blinding the fuck out of me.

I turn to the right to see Karma laying on her stomach, the white bed sheets covering her lower back, with her hair sprawled all over the pillow, stirring occasionally. Trying to keep her from waking up, I slowly move my feet over the bed one by one, stepping out of it to get to my dress pants that had been on the floor all night.

When I get my phone out of the pocket that it was in, I roll my eyes to see Ryan calling me.

Pressing the green button, as I stand near the side of the bed, watching Karma carefully as she stirs a bit in her sleep, I say in a whisper, "What?"

I hear Ryan suck his teeth on the other end, "I don't understand why you're so irritated in the morning all the time. Damn. Not even a hello. I had to hear you and Karma last night I think I deserve a proper greeting."

Rolling my eyes, because Ryan says almost the same thing whenever I say anything but, hi, I ignore his daily rant knowing it's part of his routine with me at this point, "Hi. Now, why did you wake me up."

"Hello? You literally went through a drought, a dry spell even and you finally spent a special night with your girl and you're still agitated? And why are you whispering?"

"I'm agitated because you're not telling me why you called me. I'm whispering because she's still asleep. Just like I was."

"Well, you weren't supposed to be asleep at this hour. What is it 9 AM? You were supposed to come down here for a meeting because today is a very big fucking day but instead, you want to play sleeping beauty all because of NyQuil pussy." Ryan says and I have to stifle my laughter at the last part watching as Karma, turned over to face me, laying on her side still asleep.

"Shit, I didn't even realize. I wasn't planning on what happened last night."

"Well, the next time you do that. I recommend the 4 seasons. I haven't heard her talk that loud, forget how loud she was last nig--"

"I get it. I get it. You can stop. I have to wake her up and take her home."

Ryan snaps his fingers and says, "Yeah. That's what I also wanted to tell you. That's not smart, at least not today. Paola called. Karma's parents have been calling her phone. When she didn't answer they called Paola to ask where she was and Paola said Karma was at her house and would be staying there all weekend."

"So I have to drive her there. Got it."

"No. I'll take her there, you have to get your ass down here now to go over everything one more time with the guys. You're an hour late and if we wanna be able to get to Jonah in time we have to meet Joseph and finish him off first."