Chapter 16

"...I can't take anymore risks, Masuta-kun. Whatever that thing was...I can't risk it coming out again." Ayano whispers as the tranquilizer slips from her hand and onto the ground of the coffin.

Budo was motionless now, entirely taken in by the power drug running within him and most likely that entity inside of him. Ayano was truly alone now but she did not feel any dread.

"....If we were to die here...I rather you wait for it in your sleep...you deserve at least that..." Ayano closes her eyes and brings her hands to her chest. Deep down she had come to the realization that if Budo were to die first it would be admittedly painful for her. She couldn't stand the thought.

Because Budo wasn't the only one who cared.

------------------------------------------------------------------

The drug coursing through Budo's veins eventually waned and its hold over him weakened with time. Slowly, he felt that he was gaining control of his body back and he became half-awake. He could hear hushed voices and silent chatter in the distance. Where was he?

Without warning, vibrant blue and red lights flashed before Budo's eyelids blinding him for a few seconds and causing him to jolt awake. Dazed, Budo blinked a couple of times then stares up at the dark blue sky that was glittered with pearly white stars. Budo quickly sits up to see a dozen police cars parked around him beaming out their bright blue and red lights from the top of their cars. Budo then looks down to find himself laying on a stretcher. He was outside, no longer in the freezing coffin he was trapped in.

"What..is...?" Budo continues to look around confused, he was at the pathway to the school where dozen of police cars were parked and where many police officers roam.

"Move it!" Budo suddenly hears a police officer yell to his left and he looks to see a group of delinquents being escorted to a police car in silver handcuffs. Each of the delinquents signature mouth mask had been removed fully showing their faces. Budo gazes at them in awe and felt his heart quicken. This was happening, this was really happening, the delinquents were going to be arrested for their crime. As Budo stared at the group, a delinquent with chocolate brown streaks in her long raven hair briefly met Budo's eyes and gave him a hateful glare that almost made him flinch. He watches them pile into the police car one by one. He couldn't help but feel a little bit bad for them, if only they made the right choices perhaps they could of had a better life than this.

"Oh, Good, you're awake." A paramedic says with relief as he came over to the Martial Arts Leader's side. Budo quickly tears his eyes away from the delinquents to the paramedic. " I had bandaged your hands and was just about to take you to the hospital too." The paramedic says wiping some sweat off his forehead, he was grateful that a young life wouldn't be taken today.

"What's going on...?" Budo asks with his mind still spinning, for some reason he couldn't shake the idea that this all wasn't real yet.

"You're alive and that's all that matters. Here, drink this." The paramedic gently places a bottle of water into Budo's shaking hands.

"...." Budo shakily uncaps the bottle of water and brought it to his lips, he felt the cold water pour into his mouth and he felt himself swallow gulp after gulp as if his life depended on it. He drank all of its contents.

"Good, you seem to be doing well." The paramedic says with a pleased look on his face as he takes the now empty bottle from Budo's hands.

"What....What happen-- Ayano where's Ayano!?" Budo abruptly asked, looking around him desperately for any sign of the girl. He was almost expecting her to be by his side in a stretcher too but he did not see any.