Chapter 41

Ayano hesitated at the front door of her house, while she was filled with confidence there was also this lingering dread hiding behind it. The hand holding the boba tea slightly shook and she felt her heartbeat pick up slightly, either her and her father would have a breakthrough or a falling out.

Budo finally caught up with her and chuckled slightly with a flushed face, he was obviously still delighted by that kiss they had shared. However, once he saw Ayano's conflicted expression he smiled reassuringly and gently touched her shoulder.

"Theres no need to rush, you know." Budo says softly while squeezing her shoulder. "Its whenever you're ready to talk to him."

"Y-Yea-" Just as Ayano was about to reach for the door knob the door suddenly swung open causing the two of them to jump in surprise. 

There Mr. Aishi stood before them with a stern look on his face, he glanced down at the two of them briefly before opening the door wider. Ayano was expecting a harsh scolding for leaving as she did, her parents had always put her on a strict curfew of 7:00 p.m. It was past 9 the last time she checked her phone. But as she braced for this scolding it never came. 

"Well...aren't you going to come in?" He asks Ayano while motioning her forward, his voice was neutral and it did not give Ayano any clues as to what he was feeling. Still, Ayano felt like she was in trouble so she quickly walked through the door and into the living room.

"Mr. Aishi..." Budo murmured hesitantly, he couldn't get a good read on Ayano's father either. He was sure that the man before him was still pissed at him for what he said a couple of hours ago. But to his surprise he motioned him in as well.

"C'mon, Ryoba will get mad at me if I don't let you in too." He sighed with a roll of his eyes.

Slightly relieved, Budo walked into the house and Mr. Aishi shut the door behind him. The last cold breeze of the night gently caressed Budo's face before it was replaced with the warmth of the house. He took his place next to Ayano on the plush couch in the living room. They both waited for what Mr. Aishi would do when suddenly Ryoba popped her head in from the kitchen.

"Welcome home my darlings~" Ryoba says coming into the room with a delighted smile on her face. "How was your night-time date? Not too scandalous I hope~fuhuhu!"

"Ryoba!" Mr. Aishi scolds, his voice angry but a little panicked as he quickly glanced over to Ayano.

"We just went out to the annual street fair." Ayano deadpanned and shook her boba tea to further her point, this made Mr. Aishi let out a sigh of relief.

"Oh darling, you worry too much!" Ryoba says as she clings to his arm affectionately before turning to her daughter and Budo. "Why don't I make us some tea and you can tell us all about your little date! I'll even share me and Mr. Aishi's  legendary love story to make it even!"

"Actually...honey...Ayano and I need to talk. Alone." Mr. Aishi claims as he glances over at his daughter.

"Oh, is that so?" Ryoba says with an raised eyebrow before they furrowed in concern. "She doesn't need to be scolded, darling. Ayano's a responsible girl and today is her birthday...."

"Its not that..."

Upon hearing this Ayano immediately tensed. She still wasn't sure if she was ready to do this now but an opportunity had presented itself and she felt obligated to take it.

Budo seemed to notice her tensing up next to him and turned towards her.

"Ayano...I don't have to leave if you don't want me to...I can stay if it makes you feel more comfortable." Budo whispered and his hand entwined with hers as he gave it a reassuring squeeze.