Chapter 4

"Masuta, Masuta..!!" The teacher yells after him. Budo carries the delicate girl in his arms and bolts out of the school past the lingering delinquents who had refused to go into the school.

"Hey, did you see that?" A delinquent girl with red streaks in her hair says to the girl with the pipe.

"Tch, I saw them." She spits out her cigarette before lighting it as if losing her appetite for it. "I'm not in the mood for revenge. But...he might be." She turns to the delinquent boy who was smoking heavily on his cigar and eyeing the two as they disappear into the streets. He was the one who had taken an immediate interest in the charcoal haired girl. Now, he had an interest in revenge.

______________________

Dab Dab Dab

The sun was starting to set leaving an orange hue on the busy town. Budo had taken Ayano to the Ramen shop into the back room again where he tended to her wounds.

Dab Dab Dab

"Does it hurt...?" Budo asks, he was currently dabbing a wet cloth onto Ayano's teared up face. He shuddered inside each time he tended to a long scratch that only nail extensions could make. But Ayano did not flinch, it was as if she was used to pain like she had fully embraced it with welcome arms upon receiving it.

"Why...?" Was all she murmured under her breath. She looked straight at him with intense charcoal eyes. Budo found himself being pulled into a trance with those blazing winter, eyes of hers.

"...What do you mean...?" Budo asks lowering the wet cloth from her face.

"...Why do you insist on helping me?" She murmurs again.

"...You're my classmate, that's why." Budo mentally slaps himself, he should of said friend because they have gotten so close recently. "I-I mean..." He tries to correct himself.

"......" Again, Ayano just stares at him, it felt like she was observing his very soul.

"Friend...you're my friend."

"...Friend...?" Ayano blinks, breaking her intense stare.

"Yes, I feel that we are great friends, don't you think Aya- erm Aishi-San." Budo says with a boyish smile on his face.

"I don't know about that." Ayano says lowly. "You wouldn't want to be friends ...with a monster like me."

"Don't be ridiculous, Aishi-San!" He quickly grasps her hands in his and looks at her with the most serious eyes. "You are not a monster, you are a defender!"

Ayano's eyes widen, a defender? Never has someone told her that, she can hardly believe that. All the fights and battles she had undergo were all for the sake of winning, her tactics were purely on the offense side. Still, she was playing a part right now and it was disgustingly nice to hear that word.

"...Thank you...Masuta-kun."

"...Heh...yeah.." Budo was hoping Ayano would call him by his first name but perhaps she wasn't ready for it yet. He brushed it off as much as it hurts him, he can live.

"Masuta-kun, is your girlfriend okay?" The owner of the ramen shop asks as he opened the back door a crack.

"M-Mister Sakimoto, she is not-" Budo's face was flustered. "She's my friend!"

"Oh, my apologies!" The ramen shop owner quickly bows. "Do you need any band aids, Masuta-kun?"

"No, we should be fine here!" Budo says waving him off. The ramen shop owner smiles at them and closes the door.