Chapter 19

"Budo-kun?"

"Don't worry Ayano..I'm finn-" Before Budo knew it his whole mind was shut off from consciousness and he felt himself drop to the ground. He could vividly hear Ayano's footsteps rapidly approaching him.

"B-Budo-kun!" He heard her call to him as he could feel the warmth of her slender arms around his waist, probably making him sit up.

Eventually, all the sound around him began to fade into silence and he began to feel that familiar cold air wrap around him.

He was out like a light.

_______________________________________________________

Ayano gently tucked Budo into the cot that was located in the backroom of the restaurant. She briefly touched his forehead and immediately felt intense heat radiating off from it. With a concern look on her face she removed her hand and gazed at the sleeping boy. Even though he had abruptly passed out, the Martial Arts Leader's sleeping face looked completely calm, even peaceful.

"If I knew splashing water on you would get you sick this fast, I wouldn't have done it in the first place.." Ayano whispers to herself guiltily, she felt that she had failed as a friend but deep down she knew if Budo was awake right now, he would tell her it wasn't her fault. Even with that in mind she still felt responsible, so she had decided she would take care of him until he was well again.

"He's really persistent, isn't he?" Riku's velvet voice was heard behind Ayano and she quickly turned around to face the purple haired boy before her.

"What are you still doing here...?" Ayano asked with irritation in her charcoal eyes. Her level of protectiveness slowly increased as Riku inched closer to them.

"Well, when you brought Masuta-kun inside, I was worried of course." Riku replied.

"Liar, I know you don't care about him, considering you think he is a murderer. You're just concerned about me."

"My dear Ayano, I know you care about him but he is a murderer and the sooner you realize that and stay by his side... the sooner your blood will be in his hands." Riku murmurs as he slowly reached out to touch Ayano's cheek but Ayano quickly turned her head, not wanting to be touched by him.

"If this is your last attempt to make me go with you to your 'safe haven' then you can just forget about it." Ayano says as her fists tightly clenched in anger but soon lessen as her gazed caught the Martial Arts leader's still form. Her stern eyes soon soften. "Besides, if I were to be taken down by anyone in this world......I would want it to be Budo-kun."

"Ayano..!" Riku's eyes widen in disbelief at her ridiculous statement. She was willing to die if it meant staying by the Martial Arts Leaders side. He was about to further oppose of her decision when Ayano spoke again.

"My life, as well as safety is not your responsibility, if you feel that owe me after trying to match you with Haruka-san, don't even bother..." Ayano says turning her back on Riku and gazing at her friend.

Riku stood there idly behind Ayano, he was speechless. Ayano did not care about her safety or her interests as long as she could stay by this murderer's side. He couldn't imagine why? Was she actually infatuated with Budo-kun? Or perhaps did she have a cold case of Stockholm syndrome and couldn't even peel herself away from the Martial Arts Leader.

"Ayano-san, I understand, I'll back off." Riku says lying under his breath as he took a step back from her. Whatever the reason, he couldn't just watch and wait for her to show up on the local news, dead.

"...." Ayano didn't say anything, she just continued looking down at the sleeping boy like a mother watching over her child. Riku wondered if she even acknowledge what he had just said until he could see a faint nod from her.