Chapter 25

The police car that Ayano was in was still there when Budo stepped out the apartment following the paramedics. The police car was a little ways down from the ambulance but Budo knew she was in there alone. He had the guilty urge to leave Sho's side and run to her and take her away from all of this. The Martial Arts Leader stared at the police car longingly until he noticed one of the officers raising an eyebrow at him.

Budo reluctantly tore his gaze from the lone police car and instead watched as Sho was being carried into the ambulance. Budo walked up to the open back doors of the ambulance, the blaring red lights blinded him for a few seconds that he had to look down.

"You there, are you this boy's family?" One of the paramedics asked Budo as they gestured to Sho's crumpled form on the bed.

"...I'm-I'm his friend, but he would want me to be there with him!" Budo replies with pleading eyes. It was true, during this time Sho would have wanted at least one of his friends to be there.

"Alright, get in." The paramedic says hastily, they whipped their head away from him as one of the other paramedics ushered them over to treat Sho. The paramedic jumped on and Budo went to follow.

As the Martial Arts Leader had one leg into the ambulance, he couldn't help but look back one last time at the police car down the road. More than anything he wanted to keep his promise and be by Ayano's side in that car to comfort her during these hard times. He still could. He just had to-

"Hey, you coming or what kid!?" One of the paramedics called out to him. "We're ready to get moving, don't waste your friends precious time!"

"S-Sorry!" Budo says quickly before stepping into the ambulance. One of the paramedics closed the doors behind him and went back to tending Sho. They had an oxygen tank feeding air into Sho's strained lungs. Sho held a pained expression on his face as he breathed in and out. His dark purple neck seemed to constrict and throb as he breathed. Budo wanted to look away and cringe.

"Budo-kun..." Sho says softly trying to turn his head to his friend as he took a seat besides him.

"Don't strain yourself, Sho" Budo murmurs trying to keep his gaze away from his disturbing purple neck.

"Please...don't call my parents.....I don't want them to....worry, especially Mum." Sho says weakly. He tried to raise a hand to Budo but it twitched and quickly fell to his side. Budo quickly grabbed his hand and squeezed it tight.

"Sho, they deserve to know. I mean you...you could..." Budo's voice trailed off but Sho slowly shook his head at him.

"Don't call them....wait until I'm alright. Okay?"

"Damn it, Sho..." Budo mutters shaking his head. He hated being put in this situation but he felt almost obligated to follow his friends wishes when he was in such a critical state.

"Please...I'm not going to die, trust me." Sho declared after seeing the hesitation in Budo's charcoal eyes.

"...Fine, but this is not a good idea." Budo replies, he could already see Sho's mother scolding him after this or even worse. He didn't want to think about it.

"Thanks..." Sho says with a strained smile on his face. He took in a deep sharp breath from the oxygen he was receiving and closed his chestnut eyes to presumably rest.

Budo watched his friend worriedly. He stared at his chest rising and lowering making sure he was still breathing and fearing it might be his last breath. He spotted Sho's grey Saikou phone sticking out of his sweatshirt pocket. Without a second thought, he grabbed his phone and hit the ON button while thanking the gods that Sho never put in a password. He immediately swiped the green cellphone button and dialed a number.