Chapter 40

"That despicable woman has taken our son and had the audacity to say that it was his own choice!?"

Mr. Masuta rages in complaints and swears while on the phone with his wife, Lady Masuta. While the two were separated, it hurt his pride immensely to be the one to call first. After fighting with himself for an hour he finally swallowed his pride and called his wife, it was both their son after all. He told her everything that had transpired with his phone call with Ryoba Aishi.

"...Why are you telling me this instead of calling the police?" Lady Masuta murmured, she wasn't her usual self after her fight with her son back at his apartment. And who could blame him? She had yelled at him and even hit him a couple of times. She had acted like her own mother back when she was Budo's age and it made her feel ashamed that she put her honor and name over her own child.

Lady Masuta had waited a while for her son to come back to the apartment but he never came, she even tried to call him but he never answered. Budo had cut her off and realizing that made her heart break, she wanted to make it right but he wouldn't even spare her the chance.

"Hah, call the police!? Don't you remember that one detective who tried to convict Ryoba for her crimes!? The whole jury and town fell in love with her and that poor idiot fled town. You have to be insane if you think I'm going to put myself at risk of the town and Ryoba's wrath!" He immediately replied and say it in a tone that insinuated that his wife was stupid.

"So why are you calling me then?...He doesn't even acknowledge me anymore..."

"Oh, don't be so dramatic, you're his mother he'll listen to you, that boy always did seem to like you more than me."

"Thats because you always yelled at him and compared him to his friend....You've always put him down..."

"What!? I-" Mr. Masuta was about to argue but she kept talking.

"But we're both at fault for this....we've neglected him and put our own pride and desires before him..." His wife says softly in a sad tone.

"It was not our fault, we were giving him independence, too much coddling and hand-holding isn't good for a boy. He'll never become a man like that!" Mr. Masuta countered his irritation rising, he would not have a soft son.

"And look where that got us...he doesn't even want to talk to us anymore!!!" Lady Masuta shouts as her voice cracks and tears started to fall from her midnight eyes. "H-He hates us!!!"

"Uugh!! Don't start crying now!! You're are impossible to talk to when you get like this!" Mr. Masuta says rubbing his temples with an irritated sigh.

"B-But..."

"Listen, use a different phone and call him again. Convince him to come back to my house..."Mr. Masuta says dismissively before adding. "Just do what you ever you can...please I need you to do this for me, my sweet..."

He knew if he honeyed his words a little she would be wrapped around his finger, it was the same way he got to do whatever he wanted when they both lived together. He hoped this morsel of a sweet sentiment still worked on her.

"...Y-You need me...?" Lady Masuta asked softly and her sobbing ceased.

"Yes, I do...if he comes back to me I can teach him right and then...then we can all live together again and forget about this separation, we can be a family again..."

Lady Masuta was silent on the other end for a while as if thinking and this made Mr. Masuta slightly impatient. He was doing her favor in letting her in again why was she hesitating?