37- Sinful Sunday

Sunday 17th July, 14:02
Chardonnay's POV

Awkwardly, I slid into the back row of seats in the church. I couldn't see where Eva or Yasmin were but so far, I hadn't seen Jasiah. Maybe it was a good thing that Jasiah wasn't here. I mean this is the time I'm supposed to listen to the Word of God. I took in the white walls that were decorated with numerous Bible scriptures. I checked the opposite wall. The similar pattern was there too. Gold and white ribbons spiralled around the pillars in the centre of the church. I liked the fact this church was modern and Pentecostal. Smiling to myself, I listened to what the pastor was preaching about.

"As it says in John 3:16, God gave up His only son in order to save us. God was willing to forgive our sins," explained the pastor. "So why do we feel the need to judge others and to hold grudges against people if God is able to forgive us?"

Jasiah
Yeah Chardonnay, why you holding grudges against people and swearing at them in Tesco?

My phone in my hand flashed with a text from Jasiah. Frantically, I glanced around.

Jasiah
On the same row as you, jokeman

Glancing to my right, I looked down the row. It was then I realised Jasiah was the one at the end of the row wearing a black velvet durag and a leather jacket. Honestly, I was not used to seeing him wear a durag. I rolled my eyes and turned my attention to the preacher again.

"To the youth in the audience, God has given you the chance to start anew so don't let yourself backslide by getting caught up by the media, music or actions that glorify immorality and violence."

Chardonnay
Yeah Jasiah, why you making songs on stabbing people?

Jasiah
Don't get me vexed

Chardonnay
Shouldn't start something you can't finish xxx

We both leaned back and glared at each other. He had a vicious glint in his eyes, contrasting with the mischievous sparkle in my eyes. However, his eyes weren't alert enough to notice the usher behind him. And Jasiah wasn't quick enough to dodge her slap on the back of his head.

"Oww! You good aunty?" moaned Jasiah, rubbing his durag.

"No the question is are you good?" replied the usher. "Pastor is talking about immorality and here you are fantasising about the opposite gender."

"Fantasising? I wasn't even-"

Sighing, Jasiah folded his arms and faced the front.

"Oya, bring out your Bible. You need to be reading along the verses."

I bit my lip to stop myself from laughing as I watched the usher open his Bible to the correct scripture. If I didn't hate him, I might have even said it was cute because I had never seen Jasiah answer to anyone before.

I looked down at my phone again and noticed a text notification from Katana.

Katana
You in church ahlie? Come outside quick

Moaning, I walked out of the church with the feeling of Jasiah's eyes burning holes into the back of my skull. To my surprise, Katana was leaning on the bonnet of a Range Rover - a different car from the one she dropped me off with yesterday.

"Ooo, look at you in your white church dress looking all innocent. The hood's finest angel," beamed Katana.

"Thanks, you look like one of Charlie's Angels with all that leather."

"I'm the baddest bitch alive," smirked Katana, flipping her brunette hair dramatically.

Proudly, Katana struck a pose whilst she sat in the driver's seat. Under her leather jacket, she wore a lace up leather bustier and dark denim shorts. She looked like she had just walked out of a page from a Vogue magazine - except for her fluffy sliders. Compared to Katana, my lace white dress was rather simple.