31 - Hello aunty

Monday 11th July, 11:05
Jasiah's POV

I felt like a bird in a cage. I have been pacing up and down outside the doors to the oncology ward for the past thirty minutes whilst Chardonnay is seeing her mum. The look she gave me before she entered the ward made me wonder if she wanted me to join or her something but that's crazy. This was a private time for just her and her mother. Rubbing my beard, I pulled out my phone. I should probably call my cousin Jordan to find out how things are OT. I was about to dial his number when Chardonnay burst through the double doors.

"Yo, you good?" I asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine," she grinned. "It's just that my mum wants to see you."

I shrugged. "Me? Alright. I can't really say no, can I?"

Stuffing my hands back into my pockets, I followed behind Chardonnay into the ward. Clusters of beds were scattered across the open plan space. Some beds were empty whilst others were occupied by patients. I wasn't one to let me get myself emotional but as I saw the faces of patients, I was reminded why I hated hospitals so much. Seeing faces contorted with pain squeezed my heart with the fist of melancholy. I needed a drink. Alcohol, a  fizzy drink or even water. Anything to take my mind off the people I've just passed by. On a nearby, vacant nurse's desk, I saw a sandwich and two cans of Diet Coke. Surely, one person only needs one drink. Besides too much sugar isn't good for you, if anything I'm doing the nurse a favour by taking one. Looking around me, I slipped a Diet Coke into my pocket and caught up to Chardonnay as she opened the curtains around a bed. Drinking my can of Diet Coke, I glanced at the woman in the bed smiling at me. I guess this must be Chardonnay's mum.

The woman was lightskin, and even though she was weak, she had a brilliant smile that made you want to smile back. Patches of her dark hair were beginning to grow back already. She was clearly a strong woman and the strength in her piercing eyes never wavered.

"Ah, are you Jasiah?" Chardonnay's mum asked.

"Um yeah. Hello aunty," I replied innocently.

As innocently as I could. Hopefully Chardonnay didn't tell her mum that I was part of a gang. I'm not in the mood for lectures today.

"Eh heh Jasiah Clarke, I've heard a bit about you."

I glanced at Chardonnay. "Really?"

"Yes I have. Now please could you pass me the bowl of fried rice."

"Sure. Where should I put it?"

"On my head," replied Chardonnay's mum.

Chardonnay's mum looked at me as if I was crazy to ask such a question. I hope she's was joking though, I don't see the purpose of putting a bowl of rice on your head. Rolling her eyes, Chardonnay snatched the plate from my grasp and placed it beside her mother on the table. She nodded her head in thanks to Chardonnay.

Between spoonfuls, Chardonnay's mum began, "I used to work with Gia, near Brixton. How is she?"

I choked on my Diet Coke. "You knew my mum?"

"Eh heh now, isn't that what I just said? We always used to go to lunch together... I haven't spoken to her in years."

Confused, Chardonnay looked between me and her mother. She must have been wondering this whole time if Kehlani and I had a mum and we lived alone but right now, I think I won first place for the most confused. The only person I kept in furthest part of my brain and promised to never think about again had just been mentioned. Gia Clarke. Giovanna flipping Clarke. My petite, short-tempered and very selfish mother.

"I can't lie, I haven't spoken to her in years either," I sighed as I shook the remaining liquid in the can.

"Don't tell me her deeds finally caught up with her. I constantly told her not to do-"