41 - Trap Queen of Tottenham

Friday 29th July, 15:43
Chardonnay's POV

Why does she have to search me out of all people? If she had walked 50 feet down the lane and past the corner shop, I'm sure the police offer would've fainted from the amount of people who had weed on them.

Crouching down on the balcony of a nearby block, I peered down to see the community officer stalk across the grass in search of me. Like a python, she violently hissed into her radio, requesting for backup. I inched my way across the balcony to the stairwell where my scooter was. The chances of her looking up to the 8th floor to see me hiding were slim but I didn't want to take any chances. However, I wouldn't be able to leave here until she left but if I didn't leave soon, I wouldn't be able to get rid of the remaining weed and give Katana her money. And then I wouldn't be able to go to university this year because I would still be following Jasiah around at his beck and call. Groaning, I sat back down on the steps in the stairwell.

Almost an hour later, a swarm of bully vans pulled up below the balcony. The blonde officer jumped into one of them as they all drove off in unison. Shaking my head, I entered the lift going down. Surely, she didn't request for that much backup just to find me. But if the bully vans weren't here for me, who did they come for?

Sprinting out of the lift, I wheeled my scooter in the direction of dancehall music until I reached the cornershop. I saw a herd of boys chasing the bully vans and the feds in the middle of the road. Like hunting dogs chasing rabbits, they swarmed the vehicles and began to hammer the tinted glass. One boy was stamping on the front glass of a fed car that was parked and abandoned. I watched in awe as they carried on chasing the feds down the road. I'm sure it wasn't a coincidence that the DJ was playing Fuck Da Police. Smashed glass sprayed onto the pavement beside me, making me jump away. I guess the block party wasn't going to get locked off after all.

The music switched back to the loud beats of drill as everyone jogged away from the fed cars. I weaved my way in and out of groups of people as they danced to the tempo of the music. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see the dying of the embers in the barbecue, reminding me that Jasiah could be lurking anyway. Now that I thought about it, I hasn't seen Yaz or Kehlani either.

Weaving my way in between the groups of people, I made my way towards a friendly-looking group of girls. Hopefully they were in need of some weed.

Grinning, I asked, "Hey guys, do you bun?"

"Nah I don't smoke b, sorry," replied a girl with a gas cannister and balloon in her hand. "I think it's best you ask one of the mandem."

I thanked her and continued to make my way around different groups of people, asking if they smoked in hopes of selling them some weed. I pulled out my phone and looked at the time. It was already fifteen past five. I only had about forty five minutes left before Katana's 6pm deadline. Sighing, I sat on an empty bench by the corner shop. The loud bass of the block party became a distant sound as I stared at the pavement.

"I know that ain't who I think it is."

I glanced up and noticed someone standing outside the corner shop in blue sliders. "Oh shit."

"Oh shit indeed," replied Jasiah. "I heard a girl is running around asking if people need loud. Do you know her by any chance?"

"Nah. I haven't seen the girl."

"Alright but do you know what happens to niggas who aren't GPK members that try to sell weed in Tottenham?"

"No but why are you asking-"

"Oi, Jsplash that's the girl that asked me if I wanted a benz," hollered a boy who stood across the road, pointing at me.

Trembling, I took a few steps back, leaving my scooter by the bench. Jasiah turned back to me, glaring into my soul. I didn't want to find out what they did to people who sold drugs on their block so I ran. It was in the moment of coaxing more air into my lungs in order to run faster that I realised I shouldn't have left my scooter behind. I silently prayed it didn't get stolen before I could get back to it. Glancing behind, I noticed the boy and Jasiah were still in pursuit after me. Jasiah was running as fast as he could in his sliders after me. I sprinted past the shops until I saw the cross roads. But I didn't register the herd of mandem across the road on time. Skidding to a halt, I looked back to see Jasiah almost a minute away from catching me. And in front of me, the mandem were stalking towards me. I was trapped.