21 - Whine and kotch

Friday 8th July, 21:10
Chardonnay's POV

"I just want to say thank you to myself for always being sexy and popular," began Anna, rambling into the microphone. "Even when wardrobe malfunctions happen."

Anna glared at Katana when she said her last line. In return, Katana gave her an innocent look, as if she had no idea about what Anna was talking about.

Huffing, Anna continued, "I'm glad you all came to your senses and chose me over that man-snatcher and the nerd who thinks wearing Versace will take away her ugliness."

Incensed, I felt my muscles tense. Anna continued to make digs at me and Stacy but her words faded into the background. My eyes were focused on the crown on the table next to her. I was supposed to be wearing it but I had lost. Now our plan to catch Anna alone would fail since everyone would be congratulating her. I watched the teacher put the prom queen sash over Anna's dress. It wasn't fair. I stood up in order to go compose myself in the bathroom but Katana gripped my arm. There was a calculating look in her eyes as they briefly swept over the room.

"Don't leave just yet, this isn't over," said Katana quietly.

I snatched my arm away. "What do you mean it isn't over? They're about to put the bloody crown on her-"

"Stop! Anna cheated!" shouted Tilly from the corner of the room. "Some of votes have the same handwriting."

The teacher's hand, which held the prom queen crown, hovered over Anna's head.

"It's true," called another voice. "Anna had 96 votes and Chardonnay had 90 but Anna really had 87."

A figure stepped into the light next to Tilly, it was the supply teacher I had on the last day of school.

Anna folded her arms. "Well I still won and you don't even work at the school, you little supply teacher."

"Well, I do now since your English teacher is on maternity leave," she snapped. "And my name isn't supply teacher, it's Miss James to you."

Katana smiled at Tilly and Miss James but not before giving me an 'I told you so' smirk. Miss James looked completely different from when I last saw her. She was wearing a black ruched dress and sparkly heels, complete with a blonde wig.

"We've recounted the votes," continued Miss James. "This year's prom queen is Chardonnay!"

Another round of applause thundered around me. Tilly gave me a thumbs up while Kehlani beamed with pride.

"So this was your bad boy piece of information, huh?" I whispered.

"Well it's not hard to miss Anna voting for herself nine times," shrugged Katana.

"So that means I really won?"

Katana rolled her eyes, nudging me towards the stage. Snatching the prom queen sash off Anna, I stood on the stage and looked at the sea of faces. The teacher handed me the microphone. I put the sash over my head and stepped up to the middle of the stage. I was supposed to give a speech but I really wasn't sure what to say. It almost felt surreal. I was the prom queen.

"Hey everyone, I just want to say thank you for voting for me," I smiled. "My entry was a little impromptu but I would like to say a few words."

Sulking, Anna stomped off the stage and exited the hall with Eva, Kehlani, Katana and Yaz hot on her tail. The doors snapped close behind them, returning everyone's attention back to me.

Clearing my throat, I continued, "Sixth form has been a little hard on me with exam stress and having social anxiety but my best friend Eva was there for me and so were the teachers. It definitely wasn't easy for any of us but we've done our exams and here we are celebrating at prom."