30 - There's rice at home

Monday 11th July, 09:43
Chardonnay's POV

I walked straight past Jasiah's house with my rucksack on wheels. I mumbled a prayer under my breath, hoping that Jasiah wouldn't see me go past his house. Thankfully, his bedroom curtains were closed. Humming to myself, I continued pulling my rucksack along the road to the corner shop. I just couldn't get yesterday's church service out of my mind.

First of all, Eva's church in East London happened to be the very same one that Jasiah attended. So I was very shocked to see her sitting a few rows in front of me. Kehlani and Yasmin were sitting next to Eva and her parents. Katana and Jordan, however, were nowhere to be seen.

After noticing Eva, Jasiah and I settled into our seats at the back of the church, Yasmin kept turning around and holding her hands in a love-heart shape to us. Jasiah glared at Yasmin until she stopped. Shaking my head, I opened the Bible app on my phone and began listening to the sermon. The pastor began to talk about temptation and how we shouldn't give into the desires of the flesh. Clearly, Jasiah was more concerned on catching up on sleep and was already nodding off. I pinched his arm, making him jerk awake.

I came to a stop in front of the corner shop in order to top up my oyster card so I could travel on the buses and trains.

I was about to step through the shop door when the door opened and I saw the last person I wanted to see on this planet Earth. Standing in the doorway, Jasiah narrowed his eyes in confusion as he caught sight of me. He was wearing his blue sliders and had a zoot balanced between his lips.

"Where are you going? Are you still in pain from yesterday?" asked Jasiah.

I ignored him and pushed past him into the corner shop, making sure my bag rolled over his feet. I smirked to myself as I heard him yelp in pain. Despite me pulling my bag over his feet, Jasiah stalked behind me into the aisles of the corner shop.

I was about to turn into the next aisle but he grabbed me by the back of my jeans and pulled me back to the middle of the aisle.

"I don't like being ignored," murmured Jasiah. "When I ask a question, you answer."

"What are you, my dad?" I hissed.

"No, I'm your boss on Monday to Fridays, from 9 to 5."

I rolled my eyes. If there was one thing this guy had, it was the audacity. Maybe i didn't notice it earlier because I was in my feelings.

"Where are you going? Work is cancelled for you today," explained Jasiah.

"I'm going to see my mum."

"You just got out of hospital yourself, have your head wounds even healed?"

"I don't care I'm going."

"Then I'll take you there."

To his shock, I replied, "Alright well we need to go to Dalston to get my mum food."

"Say nothing," he said as led me back to his car.

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

Dalston market was already bustling when we arrived. The smell of meat from the butchers and other foods greeted my senses. There were stalls full of makeup, clothes, waist beads and hot food. Jasiah's eyes scoped the area every now and then. Maybe he was paranoid that feds were going to spring out behind the boxes of plantain and arrest him.

Finding the silence between us awkward, I stated, "I never knew you believed in God."

"I'm a Christian init," replied Jasiah.

"But how do you cope with being Jsplash though?"

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I'm not tryna do up judgemental WhatsApp aunty but you're on roads."

Jasiah sighed. "The life I life I live isn't a flipping Netflix subscription, the roads ain't something I can just leave bruv... And you don't usually go to church so what's your point?"

"I worship at home and watch services online," I retorted. "I don't really get on well with my church's youth group."

"So why don't you just move then?"

"I guess I might start going yours then."

Jasiah nodded as he stuffed his hand back into his tracksuit pockets. We stopped in front of the shop that sold Nigerian food and I greeted the aunty who sold the food there. She went into the back of the of the shop to get my order.

"Can I ask you a question?" I asked quietly.

"No you can't," grumbled Jasiah.

"Do you feel that you're close to God?"

He stares at me. "Nah, not anymore."

"But close enough to drown me in anointing oil when I'm having a bad dream?"

"I guess. Why, you allergic to anointing oil or something?"

"No, I just feel like I've drifted from God."

"Well God is like a loving dad, we shouldn't be ashamed to reach out to Him."

The aunty came back out with bags full of food for my mum. I began to search through my purse for notes to pay when I saw Jasiah extend his hand out to the aunty. He had a £50 folded in his palm.

"What? You can't do that, I'm supposed to pay," I whined.

"Tough cah you took too long and I've already paid," said Jasiah as he shrugged. "Now let's go."

Thanking the aunty, I started to put some of the soups and bowls of chicken into my rucksack. Meanwhile, Jasiah was already strolling away with the rest of the food bags to the car. I shook my head my head whilst I crouched down to zip up my bag. My body froze when I felt warm breath tickle my neck from behind me. Slowly, I turned around to see who it was.

The shopkeeper from next door was regarding me with curious eyes. Wearily, I took a step backwards. For once, I wish Jasiah was here. This guy was at least 40 years old and he was looking at me as if he was about to devour me.

Grinning, the shopkeeper asked, "Where are you running to? I just wanna talk to you."

"Wagwan for this Big Mac burger," muttered Jasiah under his breath as he walked past me.

Relieved, I felt myself relax. I didn't even know when Jasiah turned around to come back and get me.

Jasiah pushed the man back. "Ayo, she's not your age mate for you to be moving to her. Watch your weight instead of watching youngers."

Gripping my hand tightly, Jasiah pulled my rucksack and carried all the bags as we headed back to the car.

Jasiah kissed his teeth as he opened my car door. "Is it everyday attract the African uncles?"

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

Thirty minutes later, I found myself in one of the lifts in University College of London Hospital with Jasiah. He was holding most of the bags full of food between us. We were currently on the 8th floor and we still had a few more floors to go past before we reached the oncology ward. I wasn't sure if I should ask him whether he would like to come in with me to see my mum but Jasiah seemed like the type to keep to himself. I guess I'd find out when we reached the oncology ward.

- Sometimes the things we once wanted, no longer become attractive to us

Will Jasiah agree to meet Chardonnay's mum? Find out in the next chapter. Don't forget to vote - Jaymunni