38 - Nitty whisperer

Monday 18th July, 14:43
Chardonnay's POV

It had been twenty four hours since I left church. Being stuck under the same roof as Jasiah for only few hours had made me grateful for Katana taking me around London to get food yesterday. Unfortunately Kehlani wasn't around to keep me company. I dragged my feet up the stairs, clutching the papers that Jasiah had asked me to print. They were something to do with his car insurance. Groaning, I pushed open his bedroom door and dumped the papers on his bed without casting a glance up at him. The papers spread all over his duvet like confetti. Did I care that they were all in a mess? No. I turned on my heel about to leave when Jasiah grabbed my arm. Jasiah pulled me to sit down on the edge of his bed. For the first time I looked at him. He had his covers up to his chin as he sat against the bed head.

"Why you dropping my papers with bare attitude?" questioned Jasiah. "Now they're all out of order."

"Fuck off man... does it look like a give a flying-"

Instantly, Jasiah rose from under the covers. He hauled me onto the bed by my waist, dropping me on my back in one swift movement. I was so close to him that his Creed scent overwhelmed my senses. However, this time it didn't smell as enticing as it once did. I didn't feel knots in my stomach or my heart skipping a beat. I could only feel the increasing urge to punch him.

"You're brave you know, trying to talk me to me like that," he continued, gathering up the papers.

"I'm brave? What am I supposed to do with that information?"

"It means watch your tone with me before I get vexed," whispered Jasiah, pulling my ear.

No way he just pulled my ear like one aunty. I rubbed my sore ear as I tried to pace my breathing. I wasn't going to lose my temper today. Or not.

Turning around, I looked at him up and down. "You should watch your tone with me! Did you forget that you kicked me out of your car on Saturday so you could shop in Tesco's condom aisle with Chiantí or have the drugs your dealing gotten to your brain?"

I watched his eyes narrow to slits. Maybe I went a bit too far. Timidly, I darted out of his room and down the stairs. I plucked my bag from the table, sprinting out of the house before he could yell at me to come back. I needed some fresh air. Fast.

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

Monday 18th July, 14:52
Jasiah's POV

Exhausted, I dragged myself over to the window to catch a glimpse of Chardonnay. She was sitting at the bus stop beside the park. Sighing, I picked up the zoot in the ashtray and relit it. I took a long pull, filling my lungs with the warm smoke.

She wasn't too far off when she questioned if the drugs had gotten to my brain. Maybe they had. Maybe I shouldn't have taken interest in her that night in Stratford.

All clad in white, Chardonnay graced along into the crowd of my surprise party but she stood out like a diamond. She was an angel lost in the depths of hell - full of demons that make people in Tottenham cross the road when they're seen. However, an angel can't stay in hell too long, otherwise their wings would get burnt. And if an angel couldn't fly away to escape then she would be forced to live in flaming inferno. It's only fair that a devil like me saves the poor angel from other devils and the evil in hell. Or perhaps that selfish devil should've helped that angel escape. After all, an angel can't survive in hell forever.

Coughing, I shook my head. If I'm being honest with myself, Chardonnay doesn't belong in my lifestyle. She deserves to go to uni and become the best criminal barrister in London; setting the pace for future black, female barristers. I thought what I was doing was protecting Chardonnay. I even pushed her away so doesn't get too involved with me but in the process I've injured my own heart. Despite how many times I deny it and I try to change my mind about how I feel, there is only one fact: I want Chardonnay. I looked back at the bus stop. Chardonnay had already gone.

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

Monday 18th July, 15:05
Chardonnay's POV

I put my feet up on the backseat of the W3 bus. Leaning against the window, I gazed down at the shops and houses we passed. I had gotten on the bus to Wood Green because I didn't feel like going home just yet. Dialling Kehlani's number, I put my phone to my ear.

"Yo Chardonnay, you good? You sound like you're on the bus," laughed Kehlani.

"Yeah I am, credit to your brother for pissing me off," I grumbled.

"Pains me to say this but maybe it's time for you to move on from him. Besides a future lawyer can't really date a criminal."

"Mentioning criminals... Katana said she'll help me get £50,000 but I have to do something for her by the 29th July."

"I'm guessing Katana's task will help you get out of Jasiah's contract. I suggest you tell her you'll do it on the 29th July."

"Why the 29th July?"

"If I told you, it would ruin it. Just trust me when I say that day you'll make easy money and it'll be very sunny," explained Kehlani.

"On the 29th, come over early to my yard and get my scooter, a bottle of Lynx and one of my brother's bags."

"Thank you Kehlani, you're a lifesaver," I beamed.

"No worries b. Just don't get your heart broken or get bagged."

Ending the call, I nervously sent a text to Katana.

Chardonnay
Okay, I'll do it on the 29th.

Katana
What made you choose the 29th, you'll only have a few hours to try and sell?

Chardonnay
Well, its gonna be sunny that day so I'm sure more people will want to bun a zoot.

Katana
Okay, nitty whisperer. I'll meet you in the morning on the 29th.

"I'm sorry dad, looks like I'm going to become your worst nightmare for a day," I whispered to myself. "I'm not dating drug dealers, I've become one."

A very interesting perspective from Jasiah about how he sees Chardonnay. Will he be able to amend things with his 'angel'. Thank you for voting - Jaymunni