40 - Hit the Block

Friday 29th July, 13:12
Chardonnay's POV

Since I left Jasiah's house, I managed to sell a benz to an old man who was chilling outside the cornershop. I'm pretty sure he could smell the weed on me. Then again crackheads have built in illegal substance detectors.

Zooming around on my scooter, I noticed a lot more people were gathering on the road and around the blocks. The scent of fried food and other Afro-Carribean delicacies beckoned me closer towards Jasiah's house. Obviously, he wasn't stupid enough to cook in front of his yard and bait out his address but the heavenly smell was coming from his road. Regardless, I didn't want to bump into Jasiah again until I had finished my job. I only had to sell six more grams of weed. Shaking my head, I stopped in front a wall and leaned against it to catch my breath.

"Who's man is making their girl shot weed at a block party?"

On the other side of the road, a group of four boys were in a circle talking about me. They had to be at least my age or in the first year of uni.

"I dunno blud but she looks like the yat that did Jsplash dirty," added the second boy. "I'd have never expected him to be robbed, let alone by her."

"Shall we jump her?" asked the first boy.

Glancing at me, the third boy replied, "I heard that Jsplash took her in and she's working for him. I don't think she's from another gang, just leave her."

"Yeah, apparently they're dealing so I'm guessing the snap of her stealing his watch was just domestics."

"Ight, say no more. She's kinda leng though."

"Jsplash is lucky. She's got a fat back still."

Unserious. Candidates. How can you go from planning to crack my skull open to wishing you could crack my back? Rolling my eyes, I started up my electric scooter again, accelerating down the row of houses. It's crazy how everyone recognises me as the watch thief but now people are starting to think it was a misunderstanding. Or that Jasiah and I are even romantically involved. Initially, I thought Jasiah forced me to be his secretary because he liked me or because he was being asshole. I didn't really take his claims of protecting me from getting rushed by his boys seriously. However, it still doesn't make up for his past behaviour.

"Hey Chardonnay! Is that you?"

Snapping out of my thoughts, I glanced around to see who the voice belonged to. A few feet away, a blonde girl was waving at me.

"Oh my gosh, Tilly?"

Tilly looked so different in an ash blonde wig. In a good way. Stunned, I continued to grin at her.

"I'm looking forward to this block party your man is hosting."

I choked on my saliva. "My man? No, Jasiah isn't- in fact, where's your man? Where's Tion?"

"He isn't allowed to come because his brother said there are rats on this side of Tottenham."

I remembered Tion telling me about his brother. I wonder just who his brother is.

"Erm, that's weird. Rats are everywhere in London."

"Yeah it is very strange but anyways, I'm tryna get high this evening when the block party is in full swing," squealed Tilly, shaking her ass a little.

The way Tilly's mind switched so rapidly from Tion's suspicious brother to bunning weed was almost laughable.

"I have some on me, I'll sell it to you cheap if you want."

"You got loud? Man like Chardonnay!"

I exchanged two, small plastic bags that were full of weed with Tilly, receiving a twenty pound note in return. Now I only had to sell five more grams.