11 - By your side

PRESENT DAY Monday 4th July, 15:00
Jasiah's POV

Chardonnay looked like a broken doll. Dark lines of mascara were streaked from her eyes across her cheeks. Gently, I lifted Chardonnay into my arms. I carried her bridal style into the nearby bathroom, wrapping my arms closely around her. She shifted her head closer to my heart. I couldn't help letting the corner of my mouth pull into a smile. Scanning behind me, I made sure nobody was looking at us. Satisfied, I pushed open the door to the toilets. Carefully, I placed Chardonnay on the granite countertop in between the sinks then I went into the nearest cubicle and began to cut pieces of tissue. I sensed Chardonnay stir behind me.

"Jasiah?" yawned Chardonnay, rubbing her eyes.

"Yoo, you good?"

She offered me a small smile before frowning again. "Don't you have a two year old to be looking after?"

"Oh Chiantí. Nah I don't still," I said, walking towards the sink to wet the tissues.

"What?"

"Chiantí is not my baby mum, she was just trying to annoy you," I laughed. "She's my brother's baby mum."

Guiltily, Chardonnay looked away. "You have a brother?"

"Yeah but we haven't spoken in time."

I turned off the sink tap and walked over to Chardonnay with the wet tissues in my hand.

"Wait, what are you doing?" questioned Chardonnay.

"Your face is streaked with mascara so I was gonna wipe it off."

She narrowed her eyes before turning around to scrutinise herself in the mirror.

"I can do it myself, you don't need to," frowned Chardonnay.

She tried to grab the tissues from my hand but my reflexes were too quick.

"Not until you tell me why you were crying," I said, moving closer to her.

Chardonnay rolled her eyes, ignoring me. Placing one hand next to her on the countertop, I put her legs in between mine. I held up the first tissue and delicately began to rub away the dark stains from her cheeks. Chardonnay kept trying to push my hand away, which made me break into a grin.

Sighing, she asked, "Why are you doing this? It's my face."

"Don't really feel like seeing my personal assistant with a barcode across her face," I shrugged. "So is my personal assistant gonna tell me why she was crying?"

Her eyes narrowed into slits. I pursed my lips to stop myself from laughing.

"Nah I don't really feel like it."

Nodding, I finished wiping her face clean. Her angelic face looked perfect again, without any blemishes or mascara smudges. I went to throw away the dirty tissues as she hopped off the granite countertop to check her face. I stared in admiration. Chardonnay's melanin was popping, her edges were laid to perfection and her seductive, brown eyes, that were able to captivate me every time, sparkled with new energy. 

"Thank you," she grinned, holding my gaze in the mirror.

I watched as she turned away, walking towards the door. She was mad if she thought I would really let her walk away without telling me who made her cry. Grabbing her wrist, I yanked her to the side.

"You didn't answer my question," I began.

"Jasiah, what the hell?"

"Who made you cry earlier?"