15 - Fairy Hoodmother

Friday 8th July, 11:20
Chardonnay's POV

"I don't know how he got a photo of me at the party!" I protested. "I didn't steal the watch."

I felt like no matter what I said, Katana wouldn't believe my innocence anymore.

"Don't worry, I wont tell anyone about it, yet," began Katana, "but tonight, when the truth comes out, it'll be curtains for you."

Storming off, Katana left me alone to suffocate in my own misery. Kehlani came over to me with a handful of dresses. My mind was spinning rapidly, attempting to picture how my prom night would end whilst Kehlani rambled on about the different features on each dress.

"So what's your opinion on this red one?" inquired Kehlani, stuffing a red mermaid dress in my face. "Chardonnay?"

Scrutinising my face, Kehlani noticed I wasn't paying attention. I could only focus on how Katana could make the 'curtains of my life' close if Anna didn't tell the truth. I wasn't even 100% sure if Anna put the watch in my bag that day but if I had to guess who set me up, it would be her. I shouldn't only be concerned about Anna though, someone had posted me on their Snapchat story.

Enervated, I offered Kehlani a polite smile as Eva and Yasmin came over. They both had Quiz shopping bags in their hands; a subtle reminder I still needed to buy a dress.

"I'm going to go out of the store for a bit," I mumbled, turning away.

I walked out of the store, back to the seating area. Following behind me, Eva plopped down next to me, studying my fallen face.

"What's wrong?" asked Eva quietly.

"Nothing... just that nobody seems to believe my innocence."

"About what?"

"That I didn't steal the watch," I huffed, burying my face in my hands. "I now slave away my days doing admin for Jasiah."

"Listen, fuck Jasiah! We're gonna get you out of this."

I glanced up at Eva. "I just don't understand why he'd make me his secretary. Shouldn't he kill me or something if I was really guilty."

"He clearly had a thing for you that night at the party and maybe he wants to believe you're innocent but has no proof."

"Why can't he just take my word?"

"Probably because history is repeating itself so I guess it's harder... I shouldn't tell you this but his last girlfriend set him up," whispered Eva, leaning closer to me. "She stole his chain and said he left it at her house."

"Then what happened?"

"Jasiah went to her free yard and up into her room but as he picked up his chain, he got jumped by two of his opps - Astackz and ZK."

I froze. "Did you just say ZK?"

"Yeah why?"

"Someone on Snapchat called ZK posted a photo of me from the party saying I stole Jasiah's watch."

"Well then, all the more reason for us to go to prom and clear your name," grinned Eva, squeezing my hand.

I grinned back at her shyly. I almost felt a wave of sympathy crash inside me for Jasiah but I couldn't allow myself to feel sorry for him. He shouldn't be making me do unpaid admin work in order to prove I never stole his watch. Although, everything could change if we were able to find out who set me up. Everything would depend on tonight.

A few moments later, Yasmin, Katana and Kehlani stood in front of us.

Yaz folded her arms. "Chardonnay, what's wrong?"