Chapter 12

⚠️This chapter mentions: DEATH⚠️

Toni yawned as she walked into the school building, her bag on her back. She walked to her locker where her chipper girlfriend was, rocking her sweater with 'Topaz' on the back.

"Good morning, babe!" Cheryl smiled and turned to face her. "Morning," Toni chuckled, pecking her lips, "Someone's in a good mood." She mentioned, opening her locker.

"Well, life is going great right now." The redhead blushed. "Does that have something to do with me?" The brunette smirked.

"All of it does," Cheryl whispered, leaning her head on her locker after she closed it. Toni chuckled, looking up at her before kissing her. Cheryl smiled into the kiss, a small sigh falling from her lips. Toni pulled away with a hum, "You watching me play again?" Toni asked.

"Yeah, my mom agreed that you can stay over so we can babysit Danny together." Cheryl nodded, accepting Toni's hand as they began to walk down the hallway.

"Sounds good, we have stopped at mines so I can get changing clothes," Toni said, stopping at their classroom door.

"Okay," Cheryl nodded, playfully pulling Toni into their biology class.

*********

"I told you!" Lia laughed as Toni threw a fry at her. "I'm just saying coach needs to pipe down, she's been late recently." Toni shrugged, feeding Cheryl some of her fries.

The group sat on the bleachers, waiting for coach Nancy, she told them to meet her during lunch. And Toni wouldn't let Cheryl go to lunch alone since Veronica and Betty had to help the staff with something.

"Maybe she's going through something," Emily mumbled, staring ahead. "Like what?" Ashley asked, sipping her sprite.

"I don't know! Okay?! You can't just judge someone because they're late! Everyone has shit going on!" Emily snapped standing up and walking over to the other bleachers.

Cheryl looked up at Toni who sighed and nodded, "I'll be right back." She kissed Cheryl's forehead before going over to her curly-haired best friend.

"Em...what's going on?" The brunette asked. Emily shook her head, tears slowly sliding down her light-skinned cheek.

"You know you can talk to me about anything...right?" Toni whispered, taking Emily's hand.

Emily looked up at her before she let out a shaky breath then a sob, falling into Toni's embrace.

"Sh-She promised! S-She said that S-She was g-getting better!" She sobbed making Toni raise her eyebrow, "Who? Em? Who said that we're getting better?" Toni asked.

"S-She told me that-they got it- That Sh-She'll be okay." Emily whimpered.

"Em, you're scaring me, who?" The soccer player asked, rubbing her best friend's back.

"M-My, mom!" She sobbed out making Toni's heartache. Her mother. Emily's mother was diagnosed with cancer in the lung when they started high school 3 years ago.

"She-She lied...she smiled and lied straight to my face." Emily whispered.

"D-Did she...?" Toni didn't want to ask, but she wanted, no, she needed to know.

"T... I-" Emily start but Toni shook her head, "Yeah...yeah, she...3 days ago." Emily nodded making Toni's eyes spring with tears. Mrs. Stevens was Toni's favorite person. Toni would've visited her in the hospital, but with her new relationship with Cheryl and the start of the new school year, Toni was busy. "Fuck." Toni groaned, shaking her head, "Wh-Why didn't you tell me?" She whispered.