Chapter 70

2 years later
(A reminder, last chapter took place 3 months before Hunter's 4th birthday)

Cheryl has been dreading this day. It's a few days after Hunter's 6th and Toni's 32nd birthday.

And we all know what that means. Hunter was 6 years old now, meaning he was going to 1st grade. At a public school.

Knowing the redhead, Toni let her do her extra precautions before letting Hunter off to bed.

"And if someone messes with you?" Cheryl said to the big boy in her lap.

"Tell you or momma." he smiled, showing off his perfect row of teeth. All his baby teeth have grown in, his doctor was very much impressed since he was still so young.

"Yes. And the teacher, bub." the redhead reminds, tucking his hair behind his ear.

Hunter grew to love his hair even more as he got older. The 6-year-old loved to have braids with Toni. And Aliana, who had a head full of thick auburn locks, though it wasn't as curly as his and Toni's. She inherited Cheryl's hair type.

"Yes, yes, I remember, mommy. Can I sleep now?" Hunter asked, trying not to hurt Cheryl's feelings.

Toni chuckled from her spot at the door. She had just put Aliana down since the 3-year-old was way deep into her slumber now.

She had her own room, despite Cheryl insisting they kept her close. Toni had to remind her Aliana has been sleeping in her own room since birth. And that Hunter turned out perfectly fine and he had his own room since he was a newborn. Cheryl was just the cautious type. She knows that her baby's lives are fragile.

Toni knows that too, but she knows that if she lets that fear get to her, she'd always be uptight, like her wife.

"I'm sure he gets it, my love." she took a step into the room. Hunter sat on Toni's lap when the brunette took a seat on his bed, along with Cheryl.

Cheryl pouts, "I know. I just want to make sure-"

"He'll be fine." Toni kissed her forehead, "Right, baby?" she looked down at her son.

Hunter nodded against her chest. "I'll be okay, mommy. I promise." he picked at his matching pajama set.

The redhead smiled at him and reached over to caress his cheek, "I love you."

"I love you too!" the boy grinned.

"Hey!" Toni pouted, "What about me?"

The two looked up and grinned at the brunette, "I love you too." they say in unison.

Toni giggled and gave them kisses on the cheek.

"Now," Toni cleared her throat, getting up. "Hunter has to get to bed now, so he can be well-rested."

Cheryl sighs and stands up. "Momma's right."

"Momma's always right." the boy giggled, climbing into his bed.

Toni's eyes widened and Cheryl looked offended.

"I'm only kidding," Hunter speaks up again. Realizing that he hurt his mother's feelings a bit.

"It's alright." Cheryl waved off with a small smile. She leaned down to kiss his forehead.

"Goodnight, bub." she caressed his hair.

"Night, Hunty." Toni kissed his cheek.

"Goodnight," he replied tiredly.

The couple made sure to turn on his night light so the stars would pop up on his celling, before leaving his room quietly.