Chapter 40, "A Troublesome New Year".

28th of December :

Andrea : Hey...I hope you're doing better, I'd...

Amanda : I'm just calling to ask if you and Brad still wanna have us over for New Year's? I think it...

While sitting in her office, Jen is going through all the missed calls and voicemails that have piled up over the last few days.

Aleen : Hey, I've gone through some emails and...

As she's basically had zero contact with the outside world since the miscarriage happened, when she woke up today Jen decided that it was time to catch up.

Stephen : Hey, it's Stephen. I've been trying to reach you for a while, could you call me when you get this message?

Noticing how her publicist has called her approximately 11 times the last few days, she realizes something must have happened.

Finding his number in her phone, she calls him straight away, as she's got a bad feeling.

Jen : Hey Stephen, I...

Stephen : Jen! How are you? I heard about what happened, I'm really sorry.

Jen : Well I'm... wait.

Not having told anyone but her close friends about this, she wonders how Stephen knows.

Jen : How do you know about that?

Stephen : Uhm, that's actually the reason why I've been trying to get a hold of you...

Jen : Oh.

Jen bites her lip, as she's starting to understand what has happened.

Stephen : There was paparazzi outside of the hospital and they managed to snap a few pictures of the two of you leaving...

Jen : What?

Stephen : Tmz got a hold of them and published the story two days ago.

Taking a deep breath, Jen throws her glasses away before letting her head fall down on the desk.

Jen : Fuck.

Stephen : Now, they don't know why the two of you were there, they just know you seemed upset.

Jen : Wait... but how do you know then?

Stephen : Well, I know I probably shouldn't have done this but I called your fiancé, since I hadn't heard from you and he...

Jen : Wait what? You called Brad?

Stephen goes silent as he can tell his client isn't exactly thrilled.

Jen : Brad knew about this and didn't tell me?

Stephen : Well, he told me he wanted to wait until you felt a little better I...

Jen : Mhm, Mhm. Alright, well thank you Stephen... for telling me.

Stephen : That's my job.

Jen : Very well... bye.

At Flea's apartment :

Brad : Ah, this album man.

Flea : It's a good one.

He points to one of the records hanging on the wall, as the two of them just finished eating lunch.

Flea : So... you and Jennifer?

Brad : Mhm.

Flea : Things must be great for the two of you, I heard you got engaged.

Brad : Yeah, we did...