Chapter 32, "Exciting News".

At the Surrogacy Center, later that week :

Jen and Brad have met up with Surrogate Match Specialist, Jaylyn Davis, to get some information and discuss their options.

Davis : The big question is if you'd like to work with one of our surrogates, or perhaps you have someone in mind already? A friend... someone who might want to help the two of you out?

Turning to look at Brad, she shrugs as they haven't really discussed this part of the process yet.

Jen : I don't think so...

Brad : Well actually. I've been thinking... and how about we ask Alia?

Jen : Alia?

Brad : Yeah. I've known her for quite some time, I trust her and you know... she's only in her early thirties.

Jen gives him a look which makes it clear she's not really into the idea.

Davis : Who is this, Alia?

Brad : She's a friend of mine.

Jen : She might get back to work soon though... and those roles might not include a huge pregnant belly.

Davis : Oh, is she an actress too?

Brad : I don't think she's got any upcoming projects...

Jen : We'll talk more about that when we get home Brad.

She gives him a fake smile, before turning to Davis again.

Davis : Okay... so how soon were you guys thinking of starting this process?

At Jen's home, after the meeting :

Jen : I'm glad she gave us some of these brochures to look...

Brad : Why did you shut down my idea so fast?

Jen sits down on the couch, looking up at him.

Brad : Do you not like Alia or something?

Jen : Well...

She sighs, as it's not about that.

Jen : No, I think Alia is lovely, I just... I don't know how I feel about her carrying our child.

Brad : What's so bad about that?

He sits down next to her, taking his hat off.

Jen : I kind of want it to be something... just between the two of us. I don't want to include any of your female friends...

Brad : Jen...

Jen : Not like that... I don't want any of my girlfriends to carry our child either.

Brad : Right.

Jen : I mean it would certainly be nice to have someone we know do it, but I don't know... I don't think it would feel as special. What if I won't feel like it's our baby.

He nods, as he's starting to understand where she's coming from.

Jen : I mean I'm worried about that as it is.

Brad : What?

Jen looks down at her feet, not having wanted to confess that to him before.

Brad : Jen, three of my kids are adopted... and trust me, they don't feel any less like my children just because I didn't make them.

Jen : I know...

Brad : And I know Angelina would say the exact same.

Biting her lip, she takes a deep breath before letting her head fall down on his shoulder.