Chapter 5, "The (Second), Second Kiss".

10 months later, at Jen's yearly holiday tree trimming party.

Jen and Brad have talked occasionally since last winter, but there's no denying that the incident at Brad's house changed something between them...

The walls Jen built up after they divorced have come back up, and it has prevented them from getting any closer.

Ellen : It's delicious Jen. What the hell did you put on this?
Jen : Well I had...
Brad : In correction, what the hell did "her chef" put on this.

Brad takes a bite of the turkey Ellen's talking about and winks at Jen.

Jen : Wha... Brad. I've cooked some of this food.
Brad : But not the turkey right?
Jen : Well, no.
Brad : And not the casserole?
Jen : No...
Brad : So what'd you make?
Jen : The side salad.

He laughs, which causes Jen to grab one of the napkins and start hitting him with it.

You see... there are times when the walls are left down.

Jen : Brad!
Brad : Hey!

Brad responds by trying to get it out of her hand by tickling her and neither of them are considering the fact that it might be weird of them to act like this.

They're just that comfortable with each other.

1 hour later :

Amanda : Well... this was a success.

Amanda comes walking towards Jen who's throwing together some guac in the kitchen.

Jen : Thank you, honey.

She sighs while adding the salt.

And as always, Amanda senses there's something bugging her.

Amanda : What's up?
Jen : Oh, I just... I'm a little upset Justin couldn't be here.
Amanda : Yeah... it feels a bit weird not having him around.
Jen : But I guess his life is in New York now... or I mean it always has.
Amanda : Jen...

Amanda approaches her, but as she's about to say something to try to make it better, Jen grabs the guac and walks out of the kitchen.

Jen : I'll be fine.

This isn't exactly the first time Justin's let her down. Yet, she never expect him to, which is why she always ends up getting disappointed.

Not necessarily with Justin, but herself... for always being so god damn depended on him. Even now, nearly two years after they've broken up, she somehow still finds herself missing him from time to time.

Or maybe she just misses having someone.

15 minutes later :

After downing two shots of tequila in an attempt to lighten up, Jen finds herself outside in her backyard, looking over her view of Los Angeles.

Where she often finds herself escaping whenever she needs some time to think.

Brad : So this is the place you've ran off to.

Brad comes sneaking up behind her, like usual... and joins her.

Brad : I can see why.
Jen : Do you have a tracker on me or something?
Brad : Maybe... or I just remember all the places you would escape to whenever you couldn't take any more of my shit.

He takes the drink out of her hand and takes a sip of it.

Jen : I thought you quit drinking.
Brad : I did... a sip won't hurt me.