Chapter 4, "Call Him".

2 days later :

Molly : Could you send me the guac Jen?
Jen : Of course. Here.
Court : So Jen. How did it go with Brad and... your talk.
Jen : Courteney.
Amanda : Wait, what?

Everyone but Courteney looks right at Jen with wide eyes as they had no idea.

After the incident with Brad Jen's kind of been trying to forget that it ever happened and has therefore not told anyone.

But forgetting it is easier said than done.

Despite how much she wish she didn't care anymore, Brad and their kiss have been the only 2 things on her mind the last couple of days.

Jen : It's not a big deal.
Kristin : Not a big deal? Jen...
Jen : We just met up to talk.
Amanda : Was this his idea?
Jen : No. I asked him.
Molly : Why?

Courteney gives Jen her "I know what's going on" look and Jen quickly shakes her head wanting her to back off.

Amanda : Jen?
Jen : I just wanted to catch up on things. On life. It's been a long time since we've had a chat.
Kristin : Yeah. Because you're divorced. You've been divorced for 15 years.
Jen : But we said we would remain friends.
Amanda : But you didn't.
Jen : No... I know, but that doesn't mean we can't be friends now. Right?
Amanda : I guess.

Jen takes a sip of her wine while thinking about what she just said.

As a matter of fact she is right. Her and Brad spent 7 very intense years together and still care deeply for each other. There's no need to throw all that way just because their marriage didn't work out.

They're adults... they should be able to be friends without it being a big deal.

Courteney : So what did you talk about? What happened?

But then again... If he just wants to be friends... why did he kiss her?

Jen : Uhm... sorry. What?
Molly : Jen, it's obvious something's on your mind. What happened... Tell us.

Jen realizes there's no getting out of this. She can't lie to them... not necessarily because she doesn't want to, but because they would see right through her.

Jen : Well, we went to his place...
Molly : Oh. Really?
Jen : Yes, but it's nothing like that... or I thought it was nothing like that.
Courteney : What?
Jen : We... uhm, were out on his patio because he wanted to show me a table that used to belong to us, back in our old house.
Amanda : The one from Rome?
Jen : Yes. That one. And then... then he kissed me.

Everyone gasps, like they're a bunch of high school girls talking about boys.

Kristin : He what?
Molly : Just like that?
Jen : Well, we were talking about some of the memories we had with... uhm, the table... and before I knew it he was standing in front of me.
Amanda : Did you kiss him in back?
Jen : I...
Courteney : Jen?
Jen : For a moment yes. But I got all freaked out and left.
Molly : Shit.
Jen : And I haven't talked to him since.

Everyone goes silent for a minute not knowing how to react.

These are the same people who were right there with her while she was going through the divorce with Brad. They saw how it affected her, how hurt and broken he left her... and although time may heal the wounds it does not erase the scars.

Courteney : Well, you have to talk to him. You have to call him.
Jen : What?
Courteney : You have to Jen. You can't just leave things like this.
Jen : But I...
Amanda : She's right honey.

Jen sighs as she realizes it's what she has to do.

It took a long time for them to build up their friendship after everything that happened. She doesn't want to lose that or him again.

Jen : Fine. I'll call him tomorrow. But now... let's worry about who's being sent home tonight instead.

She grabs the remote and turns on The Bachelor to get some distance from everything before she has to bring it up again tomorrow.

The next morning, at Brad's house :

Brad : Did you have a good time in Bangladesh honey?

Brad's on the phone with Vivienne talking about the kids and Angelina's recent trip to Asia.

He made a promise to them and himself that he'd call them every day. Even though he's not always with them, he doesn't want to miss out on anything.

Brad : I love you too. Could you give the phone to mommy Viv?
Angelina : Hi.
Brad : Hi. How's it going?
Angelina : Good. They had a really good time in...
Brad : With you Ange, not the kids. How are you?
Angelina : I'm ok.
Brad : Come on...
Angelina : Brad, I really don't have time for this right now.
Brad : I just wanna know what's going on with you.
Angelina : I'm fine, that's all you need to know.

Brad's about to push her harder, but suddenly he's got another call coming in.

And it's from someone he's been wanting to hear from more than anyone else.

Brad : Look Ange. I gotta go, but... tell the kids I love them.
Angelina : I will.
Brad : And take care of yourself.
Angelina : Bye Brad.

He hangs up with Angelina and picks up the call from Jen.

Just as if it was 2005 again.

The same time, at Jen's house :

Jen : Hi.
Brad : I've been wanting to call you, but I thought I'd wait for you to...
Jen : It's fine. Thank you for giving me time.
Brad : I'm so sorry.
Jen : No. It was... I overreacted.
Brad : But I stepped over your boundaries. It wasn't ok.

Jen notices how hearing his voice again makes her relieved, as if never hearing it again was something she feared.

Brad : I don't want to ruin the place we're in now. I hope I didn't blew it... I just...
Jen : You didn't.

She replies surprisingly fast.

Brad : I just got caught in the moment and... I don't know...
Jen : We don't have to talk about it now.

A part of her wants to know why he kissed her. What had made him do it and if it means anything at all... but deep inside she knows it's better to let it go to not make things complicated again.

Even though it might already be.

Brad : Okay.
Jen : Bye Brad.
Brad : Bye Aniston.