Chapter 14, "I'm sorry".

It's been a few days since Brad called it quits, but honestly it has felt like weeks for the both of them.

At Leigh's house :

Jen : I just feel so stupid.

Having spent the first night after they "broke up" crying herself to sleep, Jen realized that she won't let herself repeat that pattern.

So she turned off Sarah McLachlan, poured out the rest of the redwine and pulled herself together.

Jen : Or actually he's the stupid one. Like... I'm a big girl, I don't need him to tell me what's good for me and not.

Instead she chose to vent to her girlfriends about it.

Leigh : To be fair... I like him a lot better now that he's developed some kind of consciousness and realized he's no good.

Jen : But he is good! He's great in fact.

Jen recalls the look on his face as the words came out of his mouth. He didn't even want to look into her eyes...

Maybe he thought that would make it easier.

Leigh : You should call him Jen.

He's called her a few times, but she hasn't managed to pick up or call him back.

Jen : I know.

3 hours later :

After staying at Leigh's for a few hours she's now back home.

Truthfully, she doesn't have time to worry about this as she's got a bunch of work to get to. And the SAG awards is in a week, and she's got a press conference with the TMS cast coming up.

However, she's decided to "play sick" to get away with a few things until she feels better. Just for a little while.

Jen : Guess we're gonna call him.

With Clyde following her every foot step, she grabs her phone, not having any idea what to say to him.

It doesn't feel right to just stop whatever it was they had going on... but once Brad has made up his mind it's not much she can do.

Brad : Jen?

She freezes with the phone against her ear.

Hearing the sound of his voice is just too overwhelming as she instantly hangs up, not knowing what else to do.

Maybe it's for the better. Maybe he's doing her a favor stopping it before they get too deep in.

Although... she's never had a break up feel more wrong.

At Brad's house, later :

Brad, who's miserable, is sitting in his chair with a bottle of beer in his hand.

He's not supposed to go back to his old habits, he doesn't want to, but not having Jen in his life turns out to be way harder than he ever expected.

He should have known... as he went through the same thing the last time they broke up.

After a while of feeling sorry for himself, his phone starts ringing and thinking it's Jen, he quickly pulls it out of his pocket.

However, it's not Jen calling. It's Courteney.

Brad : Hello?

Courteney : Brad, what the hell are you doing?

Brad : What?

Courteney : Are you drunk?

He goes silent, not wanting to answer her.

Courteney : Why are you doing this?