Chapter 7, "Busy Day".

8am, 2 days later :

Jen : I know, I know... I just need to get a car and then I'll meet you there.
Aleen : Remember the portfolio.
Jen : Yes. I will remember it... if I could just find...

Suddenly, she gets another call coming in.

From Justin...

Jen : Oh, great. Justin's calling me. I've gotta go.

She grabs her bag and slides into her shoes before answering.

Jen : What?
Justin : Wha... I don't even get a hi?
Jen : Oh, sorry... I'm just on my way to a meeting right now and I'm in a bit of a hurry.
Justin : Oh. Well, I was just calling to let you know that I'll be in town this weekend and I was wondering if you'd want to get together some time?

Jen stops what she's doing to get a moment to think.

Jen : Uhm... yeah, sure. That sounds great.
Justin : Should we say Friday?
Jen : Eh, yeah... that works.
Justin : Okay. I won't take up any more of your time, you sound a bit stressed.
Jen : Well, thanks.
Justin : You get what I mean.

Grabbing her keys from the hallway, she walks out the door hopefully not forgetting anything she needs.

Justin : I'll call you.
Jen : Yes. Bye Justin.

Back at Jen's house, after the meeting with the The Morning Show producers :

Sitting on the carpet in her living room, Jen's going over some of the things that were presented in the meeting earlier.

But while being in the middle of trying to decide whether to go with more pantsuits than dresses for her character, her phone starts to ring.

She picks up, seeing it's Amanda.

Jen : Hi honey.
Amanda : Hi. Are you doing anything right now?
Jen : Uhm, not really. Just some work. Why? What's up?
Amanda : The babysitter is sick, and it's very last minute... and Jason and I are supposed to be at this thing with some of his colleagues. Is there any chance you could watch the girls?
Jen : Uhm...

Brad's enters her mind straight away.

Who's supposed to come over to her house later.

Amanda : Just for a few hours. Please.
Jen : I kind of...
Amanda : My mom's in Philly and getting a hold of a babysitter I'd trust on such short notice would be impossible. And the girls actually asked for you themselves.

One and a half hour later, at Amanda and Jason's house :

Jason : Just place them in front of the TV and you'll be fine, really.

Amanda gives Jason a not so satisfied look, before giving Jen a kiss goodbye.

Amanda : Please don't let them watch TV all night.
Jason : They'll be fine.
Amanda : Not more than 2 hours of screen time!
Jen : Bye!

When Amanda and Jason are out the door, Jen goes back into the living room to check up on the girls, who just as Jason predicted, are completely captured by whatever they're sending on Disney channel this evening.

Jen : Okay girls, I'm just gonna call someone. I'll be right back.
Maple : Okay.

In the kitchen closet :

Jen : Brad?

Being used to keeping things between them secretive, Jen whispers into the phone.

Brad : Hi.
Jen : So... I think we're go...
Brad : Why are you whispering?
Jen : Oh... well I'm at Amanda and Jason's house.
Brad : Oh.
Jen : Yeah, that's actually why I'm calling... You see Amanda sort of called me last minute needing someone to watch the girls... and I know we had plans tonight, but is there any chance... are you free tomorrow?

Jen notices how she desperately wants him to say yes, and not turn her down.

Brad : So Amanda's the one I should blame for not getting to see your face tonight?

Jen loves how he's never able to have a conversation without making jokes.

But she can't let him to know that, because it will backfire whenever she's mad at him. And that has happened far more times than she can recall.

Jen : Well, actually it's Jason. And his colleagues.
Brad : Hm... no, but sure. I'm free tomorrow.

She smiles, hearing his answer.

Jen : Great.
Brad : Although... uhm, how late are you staying?
Jen : Amanda said they would be home by 10.
Brad : Why don't I just come by your place then instead, I mean if that's....

Her smile grows bigger.

Jen : Uhm, it's not too late you think?
Brad : No... I mean back in the day we'd go to sleep at 4 every night and wake up at 9 the next morning just fine.
Jen : But we were kids.
Brad : I think we'll still be able to handle it.

Quarter past ten, at Jen's house :

Finally in the car home from Amanda and Jason's, Jen's right around the corner of her house.

Brad on the other hand, has already arrived. He pulled up on his bike 5 minutes ago and is now waiting for her with a bottle of her favorite wine in his hand.

Or at least what used to be her favorite wine. He crosses his fingers it still is. After all, Jen is a creature of habit.

Jen : Thank you.

Jen hands the driver 20 bucks as an extra tip, before opening the door to see Brad standing leaned against his motorcycle. Wearing his leather jacket.

Watching her get out of the car being dressed in a typical outfit of hers, he tries to not stare for too long...

but finds himself giving in to the attraction.

Brad : Hi.
Jen : Hey Brad.

He smiles at her which as always, gets the butterflies going.

Brad : Here. I brought you this.

He hands her the bottle of wine, making Jen confused.

Jen : Wine? But you don't drink...
Brad : But you do.