Chapter 13, "Happiness and Disappointment".

The next day :

Jen opens the door and lets Brad in, with a smile on her face.

Brad : Hey baby.

He pulls her in for a kiss, before they move to the living room.

Brad : I had 2 cars following me. I had to shake them off before I got to your house.

Jen : Really? They didn't see you?

Brad : No.

He throws himself down on the couch, realizing that this is probably exactly what Jen meant when she said she wanted to have a comfortable couch and not one of his "modern" ones.

Jen : So the Golden Globes...

Brad : What about it?

Jen : It's in 3 days.

Brad : Are you worried about it?

Brad realizes that all the gossip and rumors is harder on her than he first imagined.

They painted her as this scorned, lonely woman the second their marriage ended... which is not even close to the truth.

Jen : Well, are we just gonna ignore each other or?

Brad : No...

She sits down next to him, breathing out.

Brad : How about we just see what happens. If we run into each other, so be it. We'll say hi, we'll take a photo together.

Jen rests her head on his shoulder, taking his hand in hers.

Brad : I mean they'll think we're just being friendly.

Jen : Oh... if I know the media right they'll probably make up all sort of stories.

He kisses her forehead, understanding she's tired of the constant invasion of privacy.

Brad : It won't be anything we haven't heard before.

The night before the Golden Globes :

Walking around her closet, trying to find her favorite pajama, she's got Clyde following her every step.

Feeling her phone vibrate in the pocket of her jeans, she pulls it out to see Brad's face on the screen.

Jen : Hi.

Brad : Hey baby.

His voice instantly calms her down.

Jen : I'm glad you called.

Brad : Yeah? I just wanted to check in on you before tomorrow. I know you're a little nervous.

Jen : Oh, I'll be fine. I just need to pull myself together.

It's not like she hasn't done this sort of thing a hundred times before.

Jen : But hey... I was thinking. After... how about we head back to my place?

Brad : Really?

Jen : Well, I'll need someone to comfort me after I lose.

It's insane how badly she already misses being close to him.

Brad : Oh, shut up.

She laughs, obviously messing with him.

Even though she's prepared to not win tomorrow, as she's up against such talented women.

Brad : Oh, by the way... did I forget my keys at your place the other day?

Jen : Uhm, I don't know. I'll look for them though.