Chapter 8, "When Brad Needs Jen".

1 hour later, in Jen's living room :

Jen : You know, you were actually the one who inspired me to get an art studio.
Brad : Really?
Jen : Yeah.

After spending some time admiring Jen's Motherwell painting, they've now ended up on her couch.

The lights are dimmed and for old time's sake, Aerosmith is playing quietly in the background.

Jen : So, got any plans for the holidays? You still go ice skating with the kids?
Brad : We do. I'm actually spending Friday with Viv and Knox.

Jen knows exactly how important the kids are to Brad. He loves being a father. He always has.

Right after Shiloh was born Jen naturally called to congratulate them, and the amount of pride in his voice is something she still recalls.

Brad : We're baking Christmas cookies.
Jen : You? Baking?
Brad : You don't think I can bake?
Jen : I know you can't bake.

Jen takes a sip of her water, while Brad tries to think of a time he successfully baked something.

Brad : Your 30th birthday. I made that cake.

Jen : You did not.
Brad : Alright, I might have gotten some help from the bakery I ordered it from.
Jen : Mhm...
Brad : But I did spell out your name in frosting.

They both laugh...

and then something slips out of Jen.

Jen : You proposed to me that night.

He goes silent.

Brad looks down, noticing how his hand is resting on Jen's thigh. He didn't even realize.

Jen : I was so shocked. And you were so nervous.

She puts her hand on top of his, noticing it too, stroking him lovingly.

Jen : I knew I was going to say yes all along though. Despite how shocked I was.
Brad : Yeah, me too. It felt right... didn't it?

Their silence fills the room yet again and only a familiar melody can be heard playing silently in the background.

They look into each other's eyes, both slowly leaning in closer.

Jen : Brad... this feels right too...

Jen leans in kissing him softly...

Quarter past eleven, the next day :

Feeling the sun on her face, coming through her blinds that for some reason are open, Jen slowly opens her eyes.

To find Brad, still sleeping, next to her.

Jen : Shit.

She quickly lifts up the covers checking to see if she's got any clothes on... which she naturally has considering the only thing they did last night was talk. And the hardest thing being consumed was mineral water.

Jen : Brad.

Jen smacks him with her pillow trying to wake him up.

Jen : Brad!
Brad : Hm...

He opens his eyes to stare right into the eyes of a very puzzled Jen.

Brad : Good morning.
Jen : Mhm... good morning.

He sits up, thankfully also being fully dressed.

Jen : I guess we're not that young anymore after all.
Brad : And we didn't even drink last night.
Jen : Or get high.