Chapter 3, "A Trip Down Memory Lane".

Friday, 4 days later :

Jen : Brad, really... I can just get a car.
Brad : No. I'll pick you up.
Jen : Are you sure? You'd have to go back and forth... I don't want to be any trouble.
Brad : So shut up and let someone do something for you for once...

Jen always hated how he knew her so well. Better than anyone else. Even now, despite all the years that have past.

Jen : Okay. Fine.
Brad : I'm there in 10.
Jen : What? 10? I haven't even figured out what shoes to wear.
Brad : 9 minutes.
Jen : Shut up.

15 minutes later :

Jen sees a black SVU pulled up in her driveway as she walks out of her house.

And next to it stands Brad wearing a pair of denim, with a grey t-shirt and a black leather jacket she swears she's seen before.

Brad : You're late Ms. Aniston.
Jen : Only fashionably.

She's about to open the car door, but he stops her by her by blocking it.

Jen : What.

Jen's wearing a pair of skinny jeans, a grey tank top and black blazer.

He can't help but notice how they're matching... just like they would often find themselves doing from time to time back when they were married.

Brad : You look gorgeous.
Jen : Will you just open the door dipshit?

In the car :

Brad : So, who owns the 1990 Harley?
Jen : What?
Brad : The motorcycle in your driveway.
Jen : Oh. It's... it's Justin's.
Brad : Ah. I'm sorry I...
Jen : No, don't worry, we're good... we're friends.

At Brad's house :

Jen : Wow.

Jen walks into the living room, noticing how different it is from what she imagined.

She can clearly tell his style in interior has evolved and changed. In many ways it reminds her of her own house.

Jen : Is this your doing?
Brad : Yeah. Me and buddy of mine worked on the house for about... 10 months. It's not completely done though. I still need some help with a couple of decisions...
Jen : I'm here if you'd ever... want my insight, or...

Jen stops talking as she realizes what she just said.

Helping him decorate his house? Him who hated her style in interior. They'd never agree on anything when it came to the making of their home.

Brad : What?
Jen : Just forget I said that. It was stupid, I didn't...
Brad : Why? I'd love your help.
Jen : Well, you didn't exactly want my help with the old house...
Brad : Only because it intimidated me.
Jen : What?
Brad : I was amazed by the way you could transform any room thrown your way. You had a true talent... it made me question my own skills.

If he'd only tell her this back then... it would prevent so many pointless arguments

Brad : I was a real asshole.
Jen : No. You weren't. Just a little immature, that's all.

He laughs, then grabs her hand and leads her outside.

Brad : I wanna show you something.

He stays quiet, waiting for her to notice.

Jen : What?
Brad : See something familiar?
Jen : No, should...

And then she sees it.

Jen : Omg.

She walks over to the table that's standing on his patio.

Once upon a time it was on theirs.

They had found it on their trip to Rome and it was one of the few things they picked out together.

A ridiculous amount was spent on it as getting it sent home from Rome didn't turn out to be easy... but it was worth every dollar.

Jen : Did you keep this? I thought we sold the house with everything still intact?
Brad : We did.
Jen : How did you get it?
Brad : I found it on an auction a few months ago.
Jen : That's so...

Her hand traces over the wood and with the well known feeling comes so many memories.

Memories she forgot she even had. 

Brad : Do you remember that one time on...
Jen : Your birthday?
Brad : Valentine's day.

They both look at each other, remembering.

Jen : Oh.
Brad : Right. I had forgotten about that.

Back then they were all over each other. Whenever they had the chance... they'd take it. No matter where they were.

Jen has never in her life experienced lust like that... not before... not since.

Jen : We really couldn't control ourselves huh?

He stays quiet for a minute.

Jen : Like anima...

Until he suddenly finds himself walking over to her.

Jen : Wha...

Now, with his hands on her waist, Brad pulls her closer, before he finally presses his lips against hers.

Jen gives in... for a while.

But as all the feelings she's spent so much time trying to get over and forget comes rushing back, she gets overwhelmed.

Jen : Brad... I can't.

Jen pushes him away, rushing back inside, while struggling to catch her breath.

She's not supposed to feel this way. He's got no right to be able to make her feel like this after all this time.

Brad : Jen!

Brad runs after her, realizing he messed up.

Brad : I'm sorry.

Jen wipes away a tear from her face, not wanting him to see her cry.

Jen : Please... don't.

She promised herself that he'd never get to see her cry again.

Brad : Jen, come on.

He takes a step closer, wanting to make sure she's fine.

Jen : No! Brad! I just... can't be near you right now.
Brad : But I... I don't...

His confused eyes meet hers one last time, before she walks out of the door and leaves.