Chapter 2

Meredith woke up in an unfamiliar house. She got out of the bed and saw the two boys, one on the bed across the room and one on the floor.

She tiptoed past them and quietly went downstairs. "Meredith!" Carolyn exclaimed. "Good morning Meredith." Michael said with a smile. "Hi." She said nervously. "Do you want anything to eat?" Carolyn asked. "Do you have cereal?" Meredith asked as she flashed a toothy smile. The parents nodded and went to grab the cereal as Merediths struggled to get on to the high chair. Meredith was very small for her age. Derek and Mark came down at the same time. "Hi mom!" Derek said. "Hi mom!" Mark parroted. "Hey guys! Want some cereal?"  Carolyn asked. The boys nodded and then noticed the small girl struggling to get on the chair.

Derek walked over to the girl and bent down a little bit. He lifted the girl into the chair and smiled. "Tank you." Meredith said with a smile. "Your welcome." Derek said. Carolyn and michael saw the two and smiled as Derek sat next to her. "Want to play in our tree house later Mer?" Derek asked. "Sure!" Meredith replied with a giggle.

A few hours later, The kids and michael and Carolyn all found themselves throwing the football around after hanging in the tree house for a while. Meredith struggled to hold the big ball in her tiny hands. "Meredith, you got to hold it on the laces." Mark said. Mark and michael went over to her and arranged her hands so that they were inside the laces. "Now throw to Derek." Michael instructed. Meredith threw the ball and Derek caught it. "Yay!" Meredith said as she jumped up and down. Michael and Carolyn smiled at the little girl.

"I called CPS, and they said it was okay to keep her. We can't adopt her, but legally she's allowed to stay with us." Carolyn said to michael. "Okay." He said with a smile. "Okay." Carolyn echoed.

"So Meredith, tell us about yourself." Nancy said as they sat at the dinner table. Meredith had to sit on a pillow, she couldn't see over the table without it. She looked at Carolyn and she gave a slight nod, encouraging her go on. "I'm 4. My birthday is may 27th." Meredith said. "Mines in April." Derek said next to her. "What do you want to be when your older? Do you know?" Nancy asked. "I want to be a surgeon just like mommy is." Meredith said proudly. "Where is mommy?" She asked as she looked at Carolyn. Carolyn and michael looked at each other. "Uh, your mommy went on a little trip." Carolyn said. "When will she be back?" Meredith asked.

"We aren't sure Meredith." Michael said. Meredith nodded and went back to eating her food.

"Meredith, I think your gonna stay with us for a while." Carolyn said. "No mommy?" Meredith asked with a slight frown. The look on Merediths face broke the two parents heart. "Not now sweetie." Michael said. "Can I go upstairs?" Meredith asked. The parents nodded and Mark Kathleen helped Meredith off the chair and she scurried upstairs.

"Is she okay?" Lizzie asked. "I don't know." Carolyn sighed. "I'll go check on her." She said. "I'll do it." Michael said. Carolyn nodded and michael stood up and ascended upstairs.

"Meredith?" Michael asked as he gently pushed open the door. The sight in front of him broke his heart. Meredith was curled in the corner of dereks bed, crying. "Meredith." He said as he gently sat on the corner of the bed. "What's wrong?" He asked softly. "I want my mommy." She cried. "I know you do Mer. But mommy isn't here. But Carolyn and I are here." Michael said. "You isn't mommy though." Meredith pointed out. "Come here." Michael said. Meredith inched closer to michael and he gently lifted her into his lap. "I know you want your mommy." Michael said. "Meredith, do you know who your daddy is?" Michael asked. "My daddy leaved a long time ago. I haven't seen him for a while." Meredith explained. "Oh." Michael said. "Do you want to go back downstairs? I think the kids wanted to watch a movie." He asked. Meredith thought for a moment then nodded. "You hold me?" Meredith asked hesitantly. Michael smiled. "Sure, sweetheart." He said. Michael kept the small girl in his arms and walked downstairs. Meredith rested her head on the mans shoulder and wrapped her small arms around his neck.

They got downstairs and entered the family room. The kids gave Meredith skeptical looks, while Carolyn looked thrilled. He sat down next to Carolyn on the left and Derek on the right and kept Meredith in his lap. "We're watching Iron Man, want to watch?" Derek asked. "Mom, can't we watch high school musical?" Kathleen asked with a groan. "No dear, you got to pick the movie last time. It's the boys turn." Carolyn said. Derek rolled his eyes and put on the movie.

At some point during the movie, Meredith scooted in the middle of Derek and Michael. Derek pulled his blanket over the younger girl and she curled up in it. She rested her head on his shoulder and watched the movie, which she actually liked.

When the movie finished around 10, Meredith and Amelia were out cold. "I'll take amy, you take Meredith." Michael said. Carolyn nodded and lifted up Meredith gently in her arms, and Michael did the same with Amelia. Meredith sighed in content in Carolyns arms as she placed the small girl in the bed. She made a mental note to talk to Michael about getting another bed. Carolyn kissed the girl goodnight and quietly left the room. She said goodnight to the rest of the kids and met Michael in the kitchen.

"We should get Meredith her own bed." Carolyn said. "We should. We can work on it tomorrow." Michael said with a yawn. "She seemed to warm up to you today." Carolyn pointed out. "The poor kids father left a while ago." Michael said. "Really?" Carolyn asked. Michael nodded. "She seems better today." He said. "She does." Carolyn confirmed.

For some reason I really feel the need to have Meredith and michael to have a father daughter relationship, it just feels important to me! If you like this story please vote so I know whether I should continue or not!