Chapter 18

One night, Derek had stayed late at the hospital. It was a crappy day in Seattle, rainy and slippery, so he decided to stay there for the night. He scrubbed in on a few surgeries and then crashed in an on call room.

Meredith on the other hand, woke up around 8 to go to work. She changed into her light blue scrubs, not wanting to change at the hospital, and got ready for work.

She got into her old sedan and started driving in the slick conditions. It was a little difficult with the slippery roads. The last thing she remembered seeing was a car sliding head on at the intersection.

At the hospital, they had a lot of patients from the storm. "Shepherd, where's Meredith?" Cristina asked as she came over to the trauma bay. "She's supposed to be in now. I haven't heard anything." Derek replied worriedly. "Shepherd, we need you over here!" Richard called from the ambulance bay.

He and Yang both ran over and approached the ambulance. "Female in mid 30s, hit head on. Trauma to the left leg, and abdomen. Was unconscious at the scene and regained consciousness on the way here." The paramedic said. "Seriously, I am fine." The patient tried to argue. "Meredith?" Derek asked in shock. "Derek, tell them I'm fine." She argued. "Grey, what happened?" Bailey asked. "It was a little slippery and the car in front of me couldn't stop. I'm fine, seriously." Meredith replied. "You are not fine. Let's get her into a room." Bailey said.

They got Meredith into a room and started assessing. "Page Torres." Richard called out. "Grey, please tell us what hurts." Richard asked. "My leg hurts a bit and my stomach. Nothing else." Meredith replied as she grabbed dereks hand. Bailey lifted up Merediths scrub top and winced at the bruising she saw. "Also, page Nelson. You lost consciousness, right?" Richard asked. "Yeah." Meredith mumbled.

"Okay. I want a CT to check for bleeding in the abdomen and head." He said. "I'm here, what do we- Grey?" Callie asked in surprise. "Torres, look at this leg. I think it's a fracture but I'm not sure." Bailey said.

Derek looked down at his girlfriend. She looked like she was going to fall asleep any minute. "Stay awake for a little longer Mer. Until we get the CT." He requested. "You people." Meredith said annoyed. He chuckled and brushed the hair out of her face. "Okay Grey, definitely broken. On that CT let's check for an ACL tear too." Callie said. "Okay. Let's go." Bailey said.

They brought Meredith to CT and quickly got her in. Derek and everyone waited in the scan room. "How long have you guys been together?" Bailey asked. "A few months. We've known each other since we were kids though. She grew up with my family." Derek replied. "Is it true that Ellis left her?" Richard asked suddenly. "It's not my place to tell you, but yeah." Derek replied.

"Scans are up." The tech guy said. They all looked at the computer and sighed in relief. "No bleeding at all. But her ACL is torn." Bailey said. "We should fix that as soon as possible in surgery. I'll go book it now." Callie said before hurrying out.

They went back into the ct room and took Meredith out, who was now fast asleep.

After settling her into a room and getting her ready for surgery, Derek sat in her room. He decided to call his mom. "Hey mom." Derek said. "Hi Derek, how are you?" Carolyn asked cheerfully. "I'm good. It's about Meredith." Derek said. "What is it? WhY happened?" Carolyn asked, instantly worried. "She's okay, but she got into a minor car accident. She's a little banged up, and she's having surgery on her leg soon, but she's okay. I wanted to let you know." Derek said.

"Surgery?! What happened?" She asked frantically. "It's okay mom. The weather was bad today and a car hit her head on. She's okay, aside from her leg." Derek replied. "I'll be there soon, okay? Me and dad." Carolyn said. "Okay mom. I love you." He said. "I love you too son." She replied before hanging up the phone.

A little while later, Callie came in to take meredith to surgery. "Shepherd, you can't come in, you know that." Bailey said. She was scrubbing in just to make sure her intern was okay. "I'll sit by her head, I won't say a word." Derek said softly. Bailey rolled her eyes but gave in.

They got to the OR and scrubbed in. Once Meredith was successfully intubated and under anesthesia, Callie made the first cut. Derek sat by Merediths head, just as he said, and softly stroked her cheek, admiring her delicate features. Even under anesthesia, she was beautiful to him.

An hour later, Carolyn and Michael Shepherd walked through the doors of Seattle grace. "Meredith Grey." They said to the receptionist, who pointed them to a room.

They walked in and saw Derek sitting on the bed, talking to Meredith. "Mom, dad!" Meredith exclaimed surprised. "What did you do?" Carolyn asked worriedly. "Just a small car accident. I'm fine,
Really." Mereditj replied. "We're just glad your okay." Michael said in relief. Michael and Meredith had a very close relationship. Ever since the shepherds took Meredith in, they had a strong father/daughter connection.

"Me too." Derek said with a smile as he kissed her forehead, causing a blush to creep up on her face.

Hey guys!!
Hope you enjoyed this chapter, and if you did leave a vote if you want to. If you guys have any ideas, feel free to drop them!!