Chapter 37

"No! I told you I wasn't coming in! You gave me 3 weeks off!" Derek shouted into the phone. "Derek, we're down Nelson, too. I can't have both of my attending neurosurgeons out." Richard replied.

"Listen, my fiancée is recovering from a gunshot to the chest. I need to stay with her." Derek said, trying to contain his anger.

"Derek, it's fine. You can go." Meredith cut in. "Meredith." Derek tried. "Go. I'm not going anywhere. Seriously." Meredith replied.

"Fine. I'll be there soon, Richard. One surgery, that's it." Derek said sternly. "Thank you Derek." Richard said, ending the call.

"Hey, do you mind if dad comes over? I'd just...I'd feel better if someone was with you." Derek said sheepishly. Meredith smiled. "Okay."

Derek stepped into the other room and dialed his parents house. "Shepherd residence." A mans voice filled his ears. "Dad, it's Derek."

"Oh, Derek, how's it going?" Michael asked with a grin. "Not much. Mers doing good, but I have to go do a surgery. I was wondering if you or mom could come over and stay with her for a few hours?"

"Oh, sure. You're mother is out with your so sisters. I'll be over in a little while." Michael responded. "Thanks dad. I'll see you then." Derek replied.

"Dad will be here soon. I gotta go. Are you sure you'll be okay?" Derek asked, walking into the living room. "I'll be okay, Derek. Go. Save lives." Meredith responded. "I love you." He whispered as he kissed her softly. "Love you too."

•••

Michael Shepherd arrived at his son and daughter in laws house and opened the door. "Hello?" Michael called out. "In here dad!" Meredith replied loudly.

Michael walked into the living room and smiled. "How are you feeling?" He asked, sitting down on the couch. "Good. Very bored. You didn't have to come." Meredith replied.

"Of course i did. And I don't think Derek would've left either way." Micheal smiled. "No, probably not." Meredith answered.

"How are you? How's mom doing?" Meredith asked. "We're both good. You're mother and I were very worried, you know."

"Sorry." Meredith apologized. "That wasn't your fault, kiddo. No parent likes seeing their daughter hurt." Michael said.

"Thank you for coming. To here and in the hosptial." Meredith said with a smile. "Of course, Mer. Now, what do you say about a good old game of cards?" Michael asked. Meredith smiled and nodded.

•••

"Dad?" Meredith asked. "Yeah?"

"Can we make some lunch?"

"Sure. What do you want?" Michael asked. "Grilled cheese." Meredith replied, grunting as she swung her legs over the couch.

"Hey, you stay here. Derek would kill me if I let you stand up for a while." Michael said. "Dad, I can stand up. I'll never get better if I can't move around." Meredith replied.

"Okay." Michael said nervously.

Meredith stood up with a grunt and michael put an arm around her waist to help her. "You okay?" He asked as he helped her into a chair by the kitchen.

"I'm good. I feel like I'm 80." Meredith joked as she caught her breath. "It'll be like that for a while, but you'll get your energy back." Michael said as he pulled out a pan and the ingredients.

"I remember when you were a little girl, mom and I were teaching you how to ride a bike. You tried, but you fell and broke your arm. We took you to the hosptial, but you wanted to try again, even despite the cast." Michael chuckled.

"You were always a determined kid, Meredith. Always joking, always...happy, no matter what. I'm glad your still positive after this."

"Derek makes it a lot better." Meredith admitted. "I'm glad you two found your way back to each other. Your mother and I always knew you'd be together at some point." Michael said as he served Merediths grilled cheese.

"Thanks." Meredith said with a yawn. "After you eat, take a nap." Michael suggested. "I will." She responded.

•••

True to her word, Meredith did end up taking a nap in their room. Derek arrived shortly after that and thanked his father for staying with Meredith before he left.

Dereks surgery was successful, and he was out of the hospital within 2 hours.

Michael had told him Meredith was absolutely fine, and how she ate some lunch and was taking a nap.

A few hours later, Meredith came down slowly. "Hey, careful! You should've told me you were up." Derek said, rushing over to her to help her.

"I didn't know yoh were here." Meredith replied with a sleepy yawn. "True." Derek replied as the two of them sat down on the couch.

"How you feeling?" He asked. "Good. A little sore, but good. How was your surgery?" She answered. "It was good. Easy, and no complications luckily. You ate, right?"

"Yes." She replied. Derek nodded and went to the kitchen and returned a minute later with pills. Meredith gulped them down and sighed. "You okay?" Derek asked.

"I'm good. Dad was really helpful today." Meredith said. "Yeah? Do I make better grilled cheese than him?" Derek asked with a smile. "Hmm. I don't know. They were both good." Meredith said playfully.

"I love you." Derek replied. "I love you too. Now, can we watch criminal minds?"

Hey guys! Sorry for the short chapter. I hope you all enjoyed and hope your all doing well. I'm super tired so if this doesn't make sense sorry. If you have any ideas feel free to drop them.