Chapter 43

Meredith and Derek got up a few days later. Later today, it was their nephew Cameron's birthday. It just so happened that Madison absolutely adored Meredith.

"We have to pick up a gift for Cam, so we have to hit there first." Meredith announced as they got into their car. "Okay. Target?" Derek asked, setting the car into drive.

Meredith nodded and thought of what to get her now 5 year old nephew.

•••

They arrived at target and both walked in together. Meredith grabbed his hand as held on tightly. "What do we get a 5 year old boy?" Meredith asked.

"Kath said he really likes Transformers, so probably a figure or sometning." Derek suggested. "A figure? So like a doll?" Meredith smirked.

"No, it's a figure. Dolls are for girls, figures are for the boys." He countered. Meredith nodded and smiled as they walked up and down the aisles.

Meredith never pictured herself doing this. Looking for gifts for her nephew. With Derek. It was actually kind of the opposite of what she would be doing now at her age.

"What about this one? It's Maximus prime, I think he'll like this one. He's the coolest one." Derek said with a grin. "You're such a child." Mereditj scoffed playfully.

Derek smiled. "That one is good." She said. Derek nodded and grabbed the toy. "Maybe a gift card too up front?" He asked. "Sure. Probably GameStop, Kath also said he likes his Xbox." Meredith replied.

They got to front of the line and Meredith picked out a $25 dollar gift card for GameStop. "Shopping for your son?" The cashier asked politely. "Our nephew. No kids yet." Derek answered with a chuckle.

"Ah, I can tell you two are the favorite aunt and uncle. That'll be 27.35." She said. Derek paid and grabbed the bag. "Have a good day." He said before grabbing Merediths hand and both walking out.

•••

They arrived at the Shepherd house where everyone was meeting up and went inside. "We're here!" Derek called out. The sound of little feet running over filled their ears.

"Aunt Meredith! Uncle Derek! It's my birthday!" Cameron exclaimed happily, hugging Derek quickly and reaching his arms up to Meredith.

Meredith picked him up and kissed his cheek. "How old are you today, Cam?" She asked. "I'm 5!" Cameron yelled. He was Obviously very excited.

"That's awesome! Where's your family buddy?" She asked. "Outside. Let's go." He said, wiggling out of her arms and dragging them outside.

"Meredith, Derek, welcome!" Carolyn exclaimed, hugging them both. "Hey." Derek answered, hugging her. "How are you guys doing?" Michael asked.

"Good. Good." Meredith replied, hugging him. They greeted everyone else before cam came in again. "Auntie Mer, can you come play with me on the swings?" He begged. "Sure sweetie. I'll be back soon." Meredith replied, kissing Derek quickly before cam pulled her away.

Can took Meredith to their play set and jumped into a swing. "I can go higher than you!" Cameron challenged. "No way." She countered, getting on the other swing and kicking her legs.

From the porch, they all watched as the two competed. "So, Derek, when's the wedding again?" Carolyn asked. "We decided on 2 months, right?" He asked. "I think so. Does that mean babies in 2 months?" She asked with a grin.

"Mom, calm down." Derek chuckled. "What? I just want to know if I'll be expecting more grand babies. You're the last one, you know." Carolyn said in defense.

"It'll happen eventually. We're not married yet, and I don't want to push her on anything." He said calmly. "Look at her, Derek. Does she want to be a mom?" Kathleen cut in.

Derek watched her play with their nephew and had to smile. "I think so. She's almost a resident, so work still takes ip quite a bit of time." He said. "Okay dear. We won't push anymore. Just wondering." Carolyn replied.

Meredith and cameron came back minutes later, and she dropped down on the chair beside Derek. "That kid has so much energy." She said as she drank a bottle of water.

"Welcome to children, dear. They are a handful." Carolyn laughed. "Yeag." Meredith breathed. Kids. She wanted them, but she was scared.

"Can we do presents?" Cam asked. "Sure, baby." Kathleen replied, standing up and walking inside, as did everyone else.

"Mines over there." Nancy said, holding her newborn son. "Here?" Cam asked. "No, the other one. Derek, hold the baby." Nancy said, giving her son, Dylan over to him.

Derek held the baby close and kissed his little forehead. As cam opened his presents, Meredith let herself picture her life 10 years from now. Kids. Married. Work. Derek. She had it all.

"I know that look." Amelia murmured into her ear. "What? What look? I don't know what your talking about." Meredith stammered, swallowing thickly. "The look. The 'I want kids' look." Amelia clarified.

"I don't....no....not know." She lied. The truth was, seeing Derek with a baby, she was having severe baby fever.

"You do. It's normal. Do you want to have a baby?" Amelia asked. Meredith sighed. "Not...not now. I know that. But he's so damn hot with a baby." She said with a smile.

Amelia smiled. "Talk to him about it after you get married. Or now. Dereks always wanted kids, he'll be ecstatic to hear you do too." She said, before walking away.

••••

After the party, a few hours later, they all went home. "Do you want kids?" Meredith asked as they watched tv on the couch.

"Yeah. I thought you already knew that." Derek said with a furrowed brow. "I did. I just....me too." She admitted. "You want kids too?" Derek asked with a smile. She nodded.

"You holding Dylan today....it's was....yeah." Meredith stammered. "Good." Derek said softly, wrapping An  arm around her and pulling her closer. "I love you." She said. "I love you too."

Hey guys! I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and hope your all doing well. If you have any ideas for future chapters, feel free to drop them. Thanks for reading and I hope you have a great day.