Chapter 28

Today was the day. Derek was going to propose. He was worried people would think it was too early, but Derek knew it was time. He's let her go before, and never would again.

He woke up with a tiny, snoring body in his arms on the couch and chuckled lightly. Her snores never failed to make him laugh. One would think it would bother him, but no. He found it calming, somehow.

Derek had a plan all set out. He had talked to Richard about it, and was in on it. He just hoped nothing would get in the way and distract them.

"Morning." Meredith mumbled into his chest. "Good morning beautiful." He replied with a smile as he kissed her head. Meredith blushed and burrowed into the crook of his neck, arm wrapped around his waist.

"Ready for work?" He asked. Meredith just groaned, giving Derek a chuckle.

A few minutes later, the two were finally both out of bed. Meredith and Derek both changed into jeans and their sweaters, and Met downstairs in the kitchen.

"You coming?" Meredith asked before heading out the door. "Yeah, I gotta grab something real quick. I'll meet you out there." He replied as he watched Meredith nod and walk out.

Derek hurried up to Marks room where he kept the ring. Mark had been on call, so his room was empty. Derek grabbed the ring out of the side table, putting it securely into his coat pocket, and quickly left for the car.

"It's gonna be a long day. I better get on some surgeries." Meredith grumbled as they walked into the hospital. Derek smiled. "I got good news for you then."

"Im on your service today?" Meredith asked with a smile. "You are. And we have an intricate tumor removal of the spine today." Derek replied. "Yes!" Meredith cheered.

The two quickly cheered and met up with the other interns for rounds before surgery. "Dr Grey, present." Derek said professionally.

"Uh, Frederick Simpson, 43, in for a spinal tumor removal. Patient has been stable all night and is prepped and ready for the OR." Meredith read clearly. "Good. Ready Mr Simpson?" Derek asked. "Ready as I'll ever be." The patient said with a nervous chuckle.

"Hey Shep! Is everything prepared?" Mark asked as he walked along side Derek. "Yes. After our surgery, I'm gonna change and then go to the elevator. She should be leaving around that time, and Richard is gonna be there to make sure she goes in the right one." Derek explained.

"Good. I'm happy for you brother." Mark said with a Pat on the back. "Thanks man." Derek replied. "Derek!" Meredith squealed. "Yeah, I just used a classic screwdriver on that one." Mark cut in, not subtly at all.

Meredith threw a confused brow but Ignored it. "You heading to the OR?" She asked. "Yes. You ready?" He asked with a smile. "Hell yeah. Let's go. See you Mark." Meredith replied as she entered the scrub room with Derek.

They scrubbed in together, and with a quick kiss they walked into the OR. "Okay everybody, it's a beautiful day to save lives. Let's have some fun." Derek said as he picked up the scalpel.

"Dr Grey, see that? See how the tumor is infiltrating on the cord?" Derek asked. "Yea." Meredith said. "We have to be very careful. I want you to  try to debulk the tumor with me very carefully." He replied. "Okay."

Meredith watched with fascinated eyes as the two removed a tumor. It was like magic to her, it never failed to amaze. And when Derek did it, it was even better. He was so precise with everything.

"Nicely done Mer." Derek complimented as they scrubbed out. "Couldnt have done it without my teacher." She said with a smile. Derek chuckled and turned to her. "I'm gonna go change. Meet you at the elevators?" He asked nonchalantly. "Okay. See you in a few." She replied.

Derek quickly left the scrub room and changed into his outfit. It wasn't too fancy, but it was nice. "Ready?" Mark asked as he came into the locker room. "I think so." He said nervously as he patted his pocket, feeling for the ring. "She'll say yes." Mark said. "I hope so."

At the elevator, Meredith waited. "Hey, Meredith! How was your surgery?" Richard asked, stalling. "It was good. Patient is stable and doing well." Meredith replied. "Good." Richard said with a nod as Derek walked over. "Ready?" He asked. Meredith nodded and stepped on to the elevator that just dinged.

Meredith looked in confusion as the elevator was covered in pictures. "Go on." Derek said softly as he stepped on to the elevator, bringing her with him.

"Derek, what is it?" Meredith asked as she looked around, now noticing the familiar pictures of her and Derek as kids. "Where do I start?" He asked.

"You've been a big part of my life since we were young kids. We've grown up together. We had our fights, but stuck through them together. You are the strongest woman I know, Meredith Grey. I've waited 25 years to do this." Derek chuckled as he got down on to one knee and pulled the ring out of his pocket.

Meredith gasped and put her hands to her mouth. "I love you Meredith Grey. And I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Will you make me the happiest man on earth and marry me?" Derek asked, holding his breath. "Yes." She whispered. "Yes! Yes!" She exclaimed as Derek shakily slid the ring on her finger.

Meredith threw her arms around Dereks neck and hugged her tightly. "I love you so much." She whispered into his ear. "I love you too, fiancée." Derek whispered.

Hey guys! Hope you all enjoyed this chapter and if you have any ideas for future chapters feel free to drop them! Hope your all doing well, sorry for lack of updates.