Chapter 10

Meredith (25), Derek (30)

The day came and it was Derek and addisons wedding. Meredith did not want to attend, and luckily her excuse was that her class was going to go to the hospital for the day and shadow real surgeons.

Meredith and Derek reslly hadn't spoken in the Pat few years. When she came home from school on holidays, they're exchanged very few words. And since Derek and Addison have been moved in togetehr, he was rarely ever free to do anything.

"Are you sure you can't come? Derek would really like it." Carolyn asked. "Mom, I can't. This is mandatory." Meredith replied. "I'll send him a text or something." She sighed. "Okay. Talk to you later. Love you." Carolyn said dejectedly. "Love you too." Meredith said sadly.

She got into her car and drove to Colombia Presbyterian, where her class would shadow the surgeons and help out.

Derek on the other hand was excited to get married. He was 30, and it was time for him to settle down. But he was sad that Meredith wasn't comign. They didn't have the sibling relationship they had when they were younger. It was like they were strangers all of a sudden.

As he was getting ready to get changed into his tux, he wondered if he was making the right choice. He wondered if she was the right woman for him. But it was too late now, even if he wanted to back out.

"Ready for this?" Mark asked as he fixed his suit. "Yeah." Derek said. "You okay?" Michael asked as he came over. "Yeah." Derek replied. "You're upset that Meredith isn't coming." Michael said. "A little bit. But we aren't close anymkre, I get it. I guess." Derek shrugged. "Whatever. It's fine. Let's go." Derek said sternly. Michael and Mark exchanged a worried glance.

When the doors opened, he watched Addison walk down the aisle in awe. She was gorgeous. As she walked up across from him, Derek looked her up and down with a huge smile. But sometning in his heart knew this wasn't right. But he would stick it out, because she looked so happy, and that's all he ever wanted for her.

As they slid on the rings and said their vows, the time came for the newly wedded couple to kiss, and their family and friends erupted into cheers.

At work, Meredith tried not to think about how Derek was married now. "Mmm...let's see...Meredith!" Her professor said. She shot her head up and looked at him and the tall man next to her. She recognized the man, probably drom traveling with her mother as a kid. . "Meredith, can you tell me why it's important to screen for family history when you question a patient?" The dr asked.

"Uh, it's important because there could be a history of health problems we don't know about, and that could cause a series of issues, like giving the wrong drugs or sometning." Meredith said quietly. The man gave a nod. "Nice job." He said. Meredith nodded.

As the day ended, Meredith drove herself back to the apartment she rented by herself. She threw her backpack down and sat on the couch. She had a good day, but emotionally, she was hurt and sad. She knew she wasn't supposed to be having feelings for Derek, but she couldn't help it. It's not like they were close anyways. But it still hurt. But she wanted him to be happy, and he seemed happy.

She changed into a pair of her flannel pajama pants and an old tshirt and plopped herself down on the couch once again and turned on her favorite show, Friends. She curled up in a blanket with her iPad on her lap, and started looking over some notes she took today and that's when the tears started comign. Meredith had never felt so lonely in her life, not even when Ellis left her at a playground. As she was about to start crying full force, she was interrupted by a FaceTime call. Wiping the tears away, she answered the call and forced a fake smile when her family popped up.

"Hi Mer!" Carolyn exclaimed. "Hi!" Meredith said fake enthusiastically, her voice raspy from crying. "How was it?" She asked hesitantly. "It was good." Derek said as he and Addison appeared in the screen. "Congratulations." Meredith said softly, trying to hide her sadness. "Thanks Mer. I wish you could've came." He said. Meredith nodded. "How was work?" Mark asked. "It was fine." Meredith said.

"Mer, the reason we called is because we want to tell you something." Mark started. "We're moving to New York. Me, Addie, and Mark." Derek said. Merediths jaw dropped open. "You what?" She gasped in shock and hurt that they would just leave. "We're moving to New York." Mark repeated. "Mer, are you okay?" Derek asked after a pause. "I'm great. I gotta go. I'm tired. Bye." Meredith said as she hung up the call and threw her iPad across the couch.

That's when the tears started once again, and this time they came full force. Her two best friends in the entire world are moving across the country, leaving her, just as she was left by Ellis. She dragged her tired and sad body up to her bedroom and buried her face into her pillow, crying herself to sleep.

Back in Seattle, the family was worried. They knew the boys moving wouldn't be good news to Meredith. But they didn't think she'd be that pissed off. Derek could tell she wasn't happy that he got married. And he didn't know why.

"Think she'll be okay?" Carolyn asked worriedly. "Isn't she like 25? She'll be fine." Addison said snarkily. "You don't know Mer." Michael said sternly. "But she's an adult. She doesn't need Derek or Mark hanging around with her 24/7." Addison argued. Derek tried to stop her, but it was too late. "Meredith probably thinks we're leaving her like how her mom left her at a playground. Now I suggest you
Shut up before someone makes you." Mark snapped. Addison swallowed thickly and stepped back.

"I think we're going to get going now." Derek said as he pulled Addison out of the house. Once they got into the car, Derek started asking questions. "What we're you Thinking?" He hissed. "I don't know. She's not even your real family Derek." Addison said. "We may not be close anymore, but Mer is part of the family. And if not to me, then to everyone else." Derek said angrily. "Jeez. Sorry." Addison apologized. "Whatever. Let's go
Home." Derek said.

I have a good idea for next chapter. I hope everyone's doing okay!!