Chapter 34

Meredith woke up with a searing pain going through her body. Through blurry eyes, she looked around and panicked when she saw nobody.

She was scared. And she was in a lot of pain. But she had nobody. 'Where is Derek?' She asked herself, writhing in pain.

Outside, Derek was chatting with Dr Bailey about Merediths treatment plan when the two heard Merediths monitors start chirping.

"Mer? Meredith?" Derek asked as they raced into the room. Meredith had tears streaming down her face, and she was looking around frantically. "Hey. I'm here. I'm here." He said softly, grabbing her hand.

Meredith cried, and Bailey pulled an oxygen mask over her face. "Meredith, what's wrong?" She asked. "Hurts." Meredith cried, just as she did the previous day. "Okay sweetie, calm down. I'll call for meds."

Meredith writhed on the bed, clearly in a lot of pain. "Can you sedate her?" Derek asked quietly, all while trying to soothe Meredith. It wasn't good that she was this worked up after surgery. Bailey sighed and nodded. She injected the medicine and Merediths body went limp.

•••

"You okay Shepherd?" Bailey asked as they stepped back out of the room. Bailey knew how hard it was to see a loved one in the hosptial.

"I hate seeing her In pain." He admitted quietly. "Derek, this wasn't your fault. And we're going to make sure she's comfortable, and if that means sedating her and doping her up to the high heavens, then that's what we'll do."

Derek nodded and saw his parents coming. "Is she awake?" Carolyn asked. "She was. We had to sedate her." Derek explained. Michael frowned. "Why?"

"She was in a lot of pain. We're just keeping her comfortable for a few hours and when she wakes up again she'll be on heavy drugs." Bailey stepped in.

"Oh my." Carolyn gasped. Michael embraced his wife and sniffled quietly. Seeing their daughter, well practically daughter like this, hurt them.

•••

Hours later, Meredith woke up again, but surprisingly, instead of feeling pain, she felt great.

"Welcome back." Derek said with a smile. "Hi." Meredith replied with a cheesy grin. "How you feeling?"

"I'm so great Derek. So great. Like so great." Meredith slurred happily. "Are you? I'm glad." Derek replied. She was really high.

"Meredith! How are you feeling?" Carolyn asked as she rushed into the room. "I'm so good. I feel....post orgasmic." Meredith said with a grin.

Dereks face flushed and he looked sheepishly at his parents. "Oh...that's....great dear." Carolyn replied, supressing a laugh.

Michael just ignored ehat and looked through her chart. "She's on a high dose." He said, almost relived. "Shes a little loopy. So...don't listen to anything she says." Derek replied.

"I am not loopy Derek. I am perfectly...not loopy." Meredith insisted. "Okay Meredith."

"Mom." Meredith said suddenly. "Yes dear?"

"I love Derek. Did you know that?" She asked. Carolyn smiled softly. "I did know that actually. Known that since you were a little girl."

"Yes, but Derek was with Maddison. Or Addison. I don't know. I didn't like that." Meredith said honeslty. Derek frowned and looked down at his feet. "But he's here now." Michael said.

"Yes." Meredith said. "And I'm not leaving." Derek cut in. "I know." She replied, yawning. "Come here." Mereditj requested, patting the bed. "Mer-"

"Derek." Meredith whined. "Okay, okay." He said quickly. Derek climbed into bed beside her, and Meredith cuddled the best she could into his chest. "We'll go. We love you both." Carolyn said.

"Love you too." Meredith mumbled. Derek chuckled and held his girlfriend close. "Love you too. I'll keep you updated." He promised as they left the room.

"Derek?" Meredith asked. "Hmm?"

"He's...he's dead, right?" She questioner, her voice slightly wavering. "Oh, Mer. He's dead. He's not going to hurt you again. I promise." Derek said.

"Hold me?"

Derek nodded. She always used to say she felt safe in his arms. Derek wrapped his arms around her without touching her incision and held her.

"I'll keep you safe. Close your eyes, I'll be right here when you wake up."

"Love you." She mumbled. "I love you too. Get some sleep." Derek replied softly, kissing her head.

•••

Carolyn and michael drove to a hotel for the night. After chatting with Mark for a while, they were tired.

"Are you okay?" Carolyn asked michael. He scoffed and looked away. "She's my little girl. Biologically or not...I'm her father." He said.

"You are."

"We shouldn't have let her get like that when Derek got married." Michael said. "No, we shouldn't have. But she turned out okay."

"I'm her father. I don't like seeing anyone of my girls hurting emotionally or physically. I can't stand it."

"I know. I don't either. But Derek is taking good care of her. He's a lot like you in that way. Very protective." Carolyn replied softly.

"We're staying here until she's better, right?"

"Right."

"Okay. Good." Michael breathed. Carolyn hugged her husband tightly. "She could've died." Carolyn whispered teary eyed. "Yeah. But she didn't." Michael replied. "Let's get some sleep so we're chops to go tomorrow. I have a feeling marks gonna need to talk." Carolyn said.

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this chapter and if you have any ideas for future chapters feel free to drop them! I'm sorry for the lack of updates recently, I've been very busy this week and will continue to be. I hope your all doing well.