Chapter 17

One day, Meredith and Derek both had the day off. Derek was still fast asleep Meredith woke up early and went downstairs, in just a bra and pajama pants.

She decided to make some breakfast for the two. She got out all the ingredients and went to work, even though she didn't really know how to cook. Carolyn however taught her as a kid to cook eggs, so that was what she was working with.

Derek woke up a little while later to the smell of burnt toast. He got out of bed and quickly went downstairs. Instead of seeing a fire, he saw Meredith at the stove, cooking half naked. Derek snuck up behind her and wrapped his arms around her toned stomach. "Morning." Meredith said. "Good morning." He replied as he pressed kisses to her neck and shoulder.

"Whatcha cooking?" He asked. "Egg sandwiches. They're almost done." Meredith replied with a smile as she turned in his hold. "Where's your shirt?" Derek asked with a smirk. "I couldn't find it in bed this morning." Meredith replied as her cheeks flushed a shade of pink. She finished the egg sandwiches and put them both on the counter.

"What do you want to do today?" Derek asked. "I domt know. Maybe we could just relax?" She suggested. "Sounds good to me. I'm exhausted." He replied with a chuckle.

They ate their breakfast and then sat down on the couch. "Mer?" Derek asked after a moment of hesitantly. "Yeah?" She asked. "Why-why didn't you come to my wedding?" Derek asked quietly. He had been wanting to know why forever. She was his best friend.

Meredith sighed. "Derek, I've loved you forever. Since we were kids. I didn't want to watch you get married to another woman. And I know I should've gone. But I don't think I would've been able to watch." Meredith admitted. Derek nodded. He understood now. Derek had those feelings too. And a part of him was glad she hadn't come, because it would've hurt him to get married to another woman with Meredith watching.

"Are you mad?" Meredith asked. "No. I'm not mad. I didn't understand until now." He replied. She nodded.

"Did you hear Nancy had another baby?" Derek asked. "She did? 3rd?" Meredith asked in shock. "Yup. Baby boy Liam." Derek replied. "Wow. I can't imagine having 3 kids." Meredith replied. "Do you...want kids?" Derek asked timidly. She thought about that for a minute. "I-I think so. I wouldn't be a very good mother though." She said sadly. "Why do you think that?" Derek asked. He was glad she wanted kids.

"My own mom left me at a playground." Meredith said with a bitter chuckle. "And then we took you in. Mer, I've seen you with Nancy's other kids and lizzies and kathleens. Your a natural. If you decide you do want kids, you'd be a great mother." Derek said honestly. "Do you want kids?" Meredith asked. Derek nodded. "I do." He said. She nodded.

"You remember that time when we had to play spin the bottle in 8th grade?" He asked after a pause. "And you had to kiss me." Meredith chuckled. "I had to kiss you." He parroted. "That's when I fell in love with you." He added. "Why did you marry Addison?" Mereditj asked.

"I-I wanted to make her happy. And she made me happy, sometimes. She helped fill the hole in my heart that I had because I didn't have you. I shouldn't have married her." Derek admitted. "Hey, how's Mark? I know he cheated with Addison but..."Meredith trailed off suddenly. Derek inhaled sharply. "He has a private practice in New York. I haven't talked to him since." Derek replied.

Meredith nodded. "He's probably still with Addison." Derek replied. "I'm sorry Derek." Meredith said genuinely. "You know, I'm not too upset she cheated. In some ways, it gave me an out. To restart my life. It's the fact that she went so low and cheated on me with my best friend. And that Mark agreed to it." He said honestly.

"That makes since." She replied. Derek nodded. "How about you? Did you have any boyfriends or anything?" Derek asked. "A few in med school. None of them lasted." Meredith replied. "Can I ask you a question this time?" She asked timidly. He nodded. "When you got with Addison and moved to New York, why didn't you ever try to stay in touch?
You didn't even call. Or text. You just...cut all ties with me." Meredith asked.

"I...that was partly Addison. I wanted to call you and stay in touch, but...Addison was jealous of our relationship. And I'll admit, I didn't try hard enough. It's my fault too. And I'll regret that for a while." Derek replied. She nodded. "We've both made mistakes, but we found our way back to each other." He said as he pulled her into his lap. She curled into his body and relaxed.

"I love you." He whispered. "I love you too." Meredith replied.

Hey guys!!
So this is a very short chapter, and I'm sorry about that. Thanks to whoever suggested this, I appreciate it!! Anyways, hope you guys enjoyed and hope your all doing okay!! Thanks for reading.