Chapter 32

There were times in Meredith and dereks life that put everything into perspective. Times that really made them think about there lives.

Times, like this one.

Derek watched the love of his life collapse to the ground and ran over to her, not even caring that the gunman was still standing right next to him.

"Mer! Oh god." He muttered, falling to his knees and pressing down on her chest. The pool of blood seemed to expand ever so much around her.

All Meredith felt was pain. Pain searing through her body. Not even dereks soothing words helped at this time. "Stop fixing her! You're going to feel what I feel!" Gary yelled, waving the gun around.

"Derek..." Meredith groaned. "I know. It's okay. You're okay." Derek said, pressing down on her wound. It was right above her waistline.

"SWAT! Put the gun down!" A loud voice boomed from across the hall. Mr Clark looked up and bolted the other direction.

"We have to go Mer." Derek said apologetically as her eyes began dipping closed. Derek swooped her up into his arms, and despite her cries of pain, he just ran as fast as he could.

•••

"Stay with me Mer." He urged as he ran outside. Derek got to Bailey and Richard, who were just waiting next to a gurney.

"Grey? Oh lord." Bailey exclaimed. "Let's go! We need B+ blood and an iv started right away!" Richard yelled out.

Dereks hand didn't leave Merediths the whole time while she was getting into the ambulance.

Meredith had lost consciousness at this point from the blood loss.

Everything was happening so fast. One minute he was just doing charting at his desk, the next he was in an ambulance with his wife who was shot.

"Female, age 31, gunshot wound to the lower abdomen. Patient lost a lot of blood en route." Richard said, as all of them got out of the ambulance.

Derek tried to follow them into the trauma bay, but Bailey stopped. "Derek. We're gonna keep her alive. But we can't do that with you hovering over us." She said. "Bailey-"

"No. Go sit in the waiting room." Bailey said sternly before walking in.

Derek stumbled to the waiting room and sat down. He put his head in his hands. "Derek! What happened?" Mark asked as he ran in. "Mer..." Derek trailed off.

"She was shot?" Mark asked. Derek nodded. "She's with Bailey and Richard but I...."

"It's okay. She'll be okay." Mark said, sitting next to him. "Who else was hurt?" He asked quietly. "I don't know for sure. A few others got shot. I think a dozen are dead." Mark replied. Derek suppressed a sob as Mark put his hand in her shoulder.

•••

In the trauma bay, everyone jumped into action. "Meredith? Can you hear us?" Bailey asked as she cut through her shirt, revealing the bloody wound.

Meredith groaned through her oxygen mask. "It's okay. You're gonna be okay." Richard said. "Through and through. I think it hit an artery, she's losing too much blood. We have to get in an or now." He exclaimed.

Surgeons from Seattle pres helped get Meredith up there. Meredith was about to lose consciousness again. "Derek?" She murmured, in confusion. "Dereks fine. He's waiting outside. We're taking you to surgery now." Bailey explained.

"Ow." Meredith cried, tears streaming down her face. "Grey? Meredith, stay with us." Bailey said as Merediths eyes closed and her heart monitor starting rising.

"She's out. We need to open her up now." Bailey announced.

Meredith was transferred to the operating table and quickly cut open. "Damn." Richard muttered. "Can we get another set of hands in here?" He asked out loud.

"Oh my...Richard, look." Bailey said. "Page OB! The Fallopian tube burst, that must be why there's so much bleeding." Richard said sadly.

•••

Someone from obstetrics came quickly and took a look. "It's ruptured. I'll have to remove it completely." She said. "Wait! Will she still be able to have kids?" Bailey asked. The OB sighed. "She can, but it will be difficult. Now, I have to do this fast, so let's go."

The OB removed the Fallopian tube, leaving Richard and Bailey to close Meredith up. "Let's get her back to the ICU and inform Derek." Richard said.

Meredith was wheeled back to her room and attached to machines. She was still intubated, as they needed to see if she would breath in her own, and she had Ivs coming out of both arms.

There was a thin, thermal blanket to keep her body temperature at a normal level. Richard wasn't used to seeing her this vulnerable, this small. And he didn't like it, especially knowing that it happened under his authority. "We need to get Derek." Bailey urged softly.

Richard and Bailey sighed as they made their way down to the waiting room. They saw many of their colleagues, waiting for news on their colleagues and friends.

•••

Derek picked up his phone and dialed his moms number. "Oh, Derek! We saw on the news. Are you okay?" Carolyn asked.

"I-I'm fine. But Mer, she..." he trailed off, supressing a sob once again.

Mark took the ohone from Derek. "It's me, Mark. Derek and I are fine. Meredith was shot, and shes in surgery now. We haven't heard anything yet." He explained.

"Oh! What hosptial are you at? Dad and I will be right over." Carolyn exclaimed. "Seattle Pres. Listen, the doctors are coming, but we'll keep you updated, okay? I'll keep an eye on Derek." Mark said. "Okay. Thank you Mark." Carolyn said, obviously crying.

Derek stood up as soon as he saw Richard and Bailey and looked at them pleadingly.

"Derek, maybe you should sit down."

Hey guys! I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and if you have any ideas for future chapters feel free to drop them. I hope your all doing well and hope your taking care of yourselves. Greys is tomorrow!!!