Chapter 33

"Derek, maybe you should sit down." Richard said, approaching them.

"No....please. Just say it out straight." Derek begged.

"She's stable. We went in and resolved the bleeding. The bullet...it hit one of her Fallopian tubes. We had to remove it." He explained.

"But is she okay?" Derek asked. He didn't care that she may not be able to have kids. He just wanted her to be okay.

"Yes, Derek. She's stable. Intubated in the icu. She should make a full recovery." Bailey stepped in. "Can I see her?" Derek pleaded with a desperate look.

"Derek-"

"Please. I have to see her." He said, his voice breaking. "I can't...the blood... I have to see her."

"Okay. Let's go Derek." Bailey said softly. Derek followed the two surgeons and held the tears at bay.

"Derek. Before we go in, she is intubated. And she's going to look fragile. I know you know this already, but it's different when you know the person, okay?" Bailey asked. Derek nodded and stepped in to
Merediths room. Bailey and Richard stayed out.

"Oh my god." Derek muttered as he saw her tiny figure laying lifeless in the bed. She was pale, and had a bandage sticking out of the stop of her gown.

Derek swallowed a gulp as he slowly walked over closer to her. He pulled a chair over and sat down, grabbing her fragile hand.

"I'm so sorry Mer. I'm so sorry." He whispered. "This is all my fault. If I had been with you....I could've protected you." Derek added, looking at her.

She was intubated, and she really did look smaller than ever. She was pale, nothing like her normal skin tone. And it broke his heart.

Bailey knocked on the door and she and Richard walked in. "It's all my fault." Derek said.

"No, it's not. It's Gary Clark's fault. You didn't raise the gun." Richard said. "But it is. If I was with her I would've protected her." Derek tried to argue.

"I was the one who sent her to check on the patient. That was me. But I am not blaming myself because I didn't do this." Bailey admitted.

"I'm her fiancée. I should've been there....should've protected her."

"Derek Shepherd! Enough of that. I know you're scared, but the rational part in your brain knows this isn't your fault." Bailey scolded. "You understand?"

"Yeah. Can...can I see her chart?" Derek asked. "Sure." Bailey replied. 

Derek skimmed through the chart. "She should be waking up soon." Richard said. "She's gonna be in so much pain." Derek whispered, running his fingers through his hair.

"She will, but we have drugs for that." Richard replied.

•••

A little while later, Meredith moved slightly. "Mer? It's me, Derek. Take your time, you're okay." He said quietly.

Meredith opened her eyes and looked around. She choked on the tube that was down her throat. "I'll page Bailey and Richard. We're gonna get it out." Derek said with a reassuring smile.

Bailey and Richard came In a minute later, where Meredith was squirming in her bed uncomfortably. "We're going to get it out." Richard said, prepping for the extubation

Meredith weakly latched on to dereks hand. "Cough." Bailey instructed. Meredith did so and out came the tube.

Meredith swallowed thickly. "Water." She croaked. Richard quickly abided and held the water cup up to her mouth and she drank.

"How are you feeling?" Derek asked softly, smoothing back her hair. Meredith just shook her head and winced at the action. "Hurts." She moaned.

"Can we give her more meds please?" Derek asked. "Yes." Bailey replied, already pushing the medication. Once the drugs took affect, Merediths fluttered shut.

•••

Carolyn and michael came right to the hospital when Derek called them.

"Excuse me. Can you help me find a patient?" Carolyn asked as she tapped on the shoulder of a tall man. "Yes. Who are you looking for?" Richard asked with a smile.

"My name is Dr Richard Webber by the way." He added.

"Carolyn and michael Shepherd. We're looking for Meredith Grey."

"Oh, Meredith. Dereks with her right now. Follow me." Richard said with a polite smile.

The two of them knocked quietly on the door before entering. Carolyn gasped and grasped on to her husbands hand.

"Meredith." She whispered in shock. "I'm...fine." Meredith replied weakly. "What happened?" Michael asked.

"Shot." Meredith said tiredly. "One of the husbands of a patient we lost went crazy." Derek explained. "And shot you?" Carolyn asked in shock.

"I'm fine. Really." Meredith insistsed. "You are not fine. You are exhausted and in pain. Why don't you close your eyes for a little while?" Carolyn asked softly. Meredith just nodded and let herself drift off to sleep.

•••

"Is she going to be alright?" Michael asked as the three of the stepped out of the room. "She should be okay." Derek replied. "And are you okay?" Carolyn asked.

"I-no." Derek admitted. "I saw her...bleeding....and I couldn't do anything about it. I watched her get shot." He whispered, his head down.

"Oh, Derek." Carolyn gasped, hugging her son tightly. "She's gonna be alright, son. Your mom and I won't leave." Michael said as Derek cried silently.

"She was in so much pain...I couldn't help no matter what I said or what I did." He whispered. "But all that matters now is that she's alive and she's okay. She probably doesn't even remember that." Michael replied.

"She's gonna be alright. Just remember that."

Hey guys! Hope you all enjoyed this chapter and if you have any ideas for future chapters feel free to drop them! Hope your all doing well.