Chapter 44

Meredith woke up a few mornings later with a lot on her mind. In a week, in 7 days, she would officially be Mrs Shepherd. Dereks wife.

"Stop thinking and go back to sleep." Derek grumbled as he felt Meredith shift her position in bed for the 10th time.

"How do you know I'm thinking?" Meredith asked. "I can feel it. Do you want to talk about it or go back to sleep?" He asked. "I'm gonna be your wife in a week. That's crazy." Meredith blurted out.

Clearly she needed to talk, so Derek sat up and turned to her. "Yes, you will be." He said with a soft smile, kissing her gently.

"Like, that's crazy Derek! We grew up together now we're getting married!" She exclaimed. "I know." Derek chuckled.

"I'm excited to be your wife." Meredith whispered, curling into his side. "And I'm excited to be your husband." He replied. "Go back to sleep, it's early." Derek added.

•••

Meredith was unable to go back to sleep so she quietly got out of bed and went downstairs. She had this nagging feeling that she was forgetting something to plan for the wedding.

She knew it was early, it was only about 8in the morning, but she called Carolyn. "Meredith? Is everything okay?" Carolyn asked as she answered the phone.

"I'm freaking out." She said quickly. Carolyn had to crack a smile. "About what dear?" She asked calmly. "The wedding! I swear to god I am missing sometning. And I'm gonna be married in a week! 7 days!!" Meredith exclaimed.

Carolyn repressed her chuckle. "Oh honey, you are freaking out." She said. "Yeah." Meredith agreed. "You aren't forgetting anything, i promise. Are you forgetting that I planned this?" Carolyn joked.

"I'm not? Is this normal? To be freaking out? Because I love Derek so much and I don't know why I'm freaking out but I am." Meredith asked. Carolyn smiled. "It's normal, dear. Trust me, I felt the same way before I married michael."

"You did?" Meredith asked, breathing a sigh of relief that she wasn't the only one. "I did. It's normal, don't worry. But the moment I was at that altar with Michael, I knew that was where I was supposed to be." Carolyn explained, smiling at the memory.

"I know dereks the one for me. I know that. I just....are you sure we aren't forgetting anything?" Meredith asked frantically. Carolyn laughed. "We aren't forgetting anything. In 7 days, you and Derek will be officially married and heading off to the honeymoon. Don't worry about anything, me and the girls have that covered."

"Okay. Thank you mom." Meredith replied. "No problem sweetheart. I'll call you later, okay?" Carolyn asked. "Okay. Love you." Meredith said. "Loce you too."

Meredith put her phone down and plopped down on the couch with a sense of relief. Carolyn worked wonders on getting her to calm down and relax.

Derek came down a little while later and sat down on the couch next to her. "Did the phone call to my mom work?" He asked with a smile.

"It did. Wait-how do you know that?" Meredith smiled. "Whenever you freak out you call my mom. I figured that's why you got out of bed so early." Derek shrugged. Meredith kissed him softly and curled up to him.

"Are you okay now?" He asked softly. "Yeah, I am." She replied. "What do you want to do today?" Derek asked. "Maybe just go for a walk? I'm tired and sore from playing with Cam all day yesterday." Meredith admitted.

Derek chuckled and stood up. "Sure. Let's get some coffee first." He replied.

•••

Derek made a cup of coffee for both him and Meredith and Meredith pulled on one of his sweatshirts before they left.

It was a beautiful morning in Seattle, about 60 degrees. Derek held Merediths hand tightly in his grasp as they savored the peaceful and quiet nature.

"I'm excited for the honeymoon. I've never been to the Bahamas." Derek said as they trecked through the streets of Seattle.

"Neither have I. I'm looking forward to the sun and sex." Meredith replied. "We should stay in bed all day. No surgeries." Derek suggested. "No lives to save. Sex all day. Oh, make sure you bring a lot of condoms." Meredith said.

Derek made a mental note to do so. "Yes dear." He joked. Meredith elbowed him in the side playfully and smiled. "Should I go by dr shepherd?" Meredith asked suddenly.

Derek smiled. "If you want to. I don't want you to feel like you have to take my name." Derek replied. To him, it didn't really matter what she went by, as long as he went home with her every night.

"Two dr shepherds. That would be confusing." Meredith murmured, testing them out in her head. "It would be. You can go by Dr Grey." Derek responded. "I don't know. I'll talk to mom and everyone and see what they think." She said.

They got home drom their walk a little while later and decided to take a shower together. "Dr Shepherd. Mrs Shepherd. That makes me sound like your mom." Meredith muttered.

"Mer, it doesn't matter to me what name you take. As long as I wake up to you and go to sleep to you that's all I care about. Whether you are Dr Grey, dr Shepherd it doesn't make a difference to me." Derek said softly as he massaged the shampoo into her hair.

"Okay." She sighed, resting her head on his bare chest. "You okay?" Derek asked quietly. "Yeah. I love you." Meredith whispered as she snaked her hands up to his curls and kissed him softly. "I love you too."

Hey guys! I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and hope your all doing well! Sorry for the lack of updates, it's been a busy week. If you have any suggestions for future updates feel free to drop them.