Chapter 31

A week had past since the engagement, and the rumor mill had quieted down.

Derek had had a very stressful week. As head of neuro, he was dealing with a very angry family member of a patient he had lost.

"Mr Clark, I can assure you that Dr Grey and I did our very best on your wife. It was very severe." Derek tried to reason.

"No! You killed me wife. I'll get back at you for this. Just you wait. You too!" Gary yelled as he stormed out of dereks office.

"That went well." Derek sighed. "It'll be okay. It wasn't your fault." Meredith replied softly, sitting down on his lap.

Derek wrapped an arm around her back and pulled her close. "It wasn't yours either." Derek said, kissing her neck gently.

•••

2 weeks later

Meredith and Derek had made a few wedding plans already, with the help of izzie mainly.

The two of them arrived at work and parted ways as Meredith was on a different service.

As she walked down to Bailey, she walked past a man that looked familiar. Gary Clark. He looked at her like he wanted to kill her, but meredith didn't even really notice.

"Grey, we have a few surgeries today. First one is in an hour. Cholecystectomy." Bailey said, handing her a chart.

"Okay. Thanks Bailey." Meredith replied. "Just review her chart and meet me in OR 2 in an hour."

•••

Meredith reviewed the chart for about 45 minutes when Bailey walked back over. "Grey, can you go check on the patient real quick? I gotta go check something." She asked. Meredith nodded and walked off quickly.

On her way, her pager flashed. "Code Silver - seek shelter immediately." It read. Merediths blood ran cold. What did that exactly mean? Figuring it was just a drill, Meredith kept walking to the patients room.

•••

Richard was informed about what was happening by one of his favorite residents. "Bailey, what happened?" He asked, seeing the blood all over her lab coat and scrubs.

"Someone s-shot him." Bailey stammered. "Who?"

"Marcus (made him up). He-he's dead." She replied. "Okay. Bailey, stay here, do not move." Richard said, storming out of his office. If he had a shooter in his hospital, it was his duty to protect his staff.

•••

Derek got the page while sitting in his office and immediately took out his phone and called Meredith.

"Mer?" Derek asked.

"Hey, what's up?" Meredith replied. "Are you somewhere safe?" He asked. "Checking up on a patient. Why?" She asked.

"Go. Hide somewhere. Now. There's somebody in the building." Derek said sternly. "What?" Meredith exclaimed in fear. "Yes. Pease go hide." He begged.

"I have to cross the catwalk. Hang on." Meredith said, quickly hurrying across, but not before someone stopped her. "Stop right there!" A loud, familiar voice called loudly.

Meredith froze. "Mer? What's going on?" Derek asked as Meredith turned around. "Mr Clark. Gun." Meredith whispered in shock. "Oh god. Stay on the phone, okay?" He asked.

"Put the phone down. We have some things to discuss, Dr Grey." Gary said in a cold voice. Meredith shakily put the phone down, not ending the call.

"Mr Clark. How are you?" Meredith asked, not taking her eyes off of the gun in his hand. "Not too good. Killed a few people." He said nonchalantly.

Meredith gulped. "You killed my wife." He said accusingly. "Mr Clark, you wife died of brain cancer. We-we did everything we could." She replied.

"No! Listen to me, kid, you and dr Shepherd killed my wife. And I know you and him are together, I looked for him earlier and saw your picture on his desk." He yelled.

"You're togetehr, aren't you?" He asked.

"He's my fiancée." Meredith stammered out. "Even better." Gary chuckled, raising the gun and seemed to be examining it.

"Mr Clark, we're very sorry for your loss. I am very sorry for your loss. I know what it's like to lose someone." Meredith said.

"Oh, I'm sure you do. The love of your life ever just...die?" Gary asked bitterly. "No. But we're didnt talk for years. And it felt like he died. Felt like I died. So I know how your feeling." Meredith replied sympathetically.

"No you don't! Dont say that again!" He yelled, pointing the gun directly at merediths chest. "Mr Clark, I'm human. I'm flawed. I make mistakes. But I'm a good person. Cant you see that?" She asked.

•••

Dereks heart was racing when Meredith wasn't answering him. He decided to run to the catwalk, in hopes of finding his girlfriend, alive and breathing.

Derek raced through the halls, running as fast as he possibly could. "Derek!" Someone yelled. "Richard, what's going on?" Derek asked.

"There's a shooter. Get somewhere safe." He said. "No. Meredith isn't safe. I have to find her." Derek said. "Shepherd!" Richard exclaimed as Derek continued running.

Just the thought of Meredith lying on the ground, bleeding and in pain from a gunshot wound made dereks heart stop.

He finally got to the catwalk and peeked around the corner, seeing Meredith face to face within feet of the gunman, who he recognized as Gary Clark.

"I want Dr Shepherd to feel the pain and grief the loss like I'm feeling right now. And the key to that, is killing you." He heard Mr Clark say.

"Please. Don't kill me. Think about what your doing." Meredith begged. "I already made my choice." He said bitterly, before a loud gunshot rang through the hospital.

"Meredith!"

Hey guys! You guys said you wanted some drama, so here it is! Hope you guys enjoyed the cliffhanger too 😉 if you enjoyed give it a vote if you want and I hope you all are doing well.