Chapter 29

Waking up the morning after an engagement was amazing. In the arms of dereks warm embrace, Meredith had never felt more relaxed and more happy.

Today, they had plans to go to Carolyn and Michael's house to tell them the news. Derek strategically planned the proposal on a day before they had work off.

"Morning." Derek mumbled, his head resting on her chest. "Good morning." She replied as she ran her fingers through his thick black curls. "Still a yes?" He asked with a sleepy smile, looking up at her.

Meredith smiled. "Still a yes." She replied as she kissed his forehead. "Ready to go tell the family?" He asked as he moved on top of her. "Mhm." Meredith murmured, pressing her lips roughly against his.

•••

A little while later, the two of them got ready and walked out to the car together, arms linked. "What did you think they'll say?" Meredith asked anxiously. "I'm sure they'll be happy. They love you Mer, you know that." Derek replied as he placed his hand on her thigh.

They arrived at the house and walked up to the front steps. "Meredith, Derek, come in!" Carolyn ushered in with a big smile. They entered the house, and the aroma of fresh baked cookies filled their noses.

"Hi mom, hi dad." Derek said with a smile as he chugged the two of them. "Hi." Meredith said, giving both of them big hugs. "We've missed you guys around here. How are you guys doing?" Carolyn asked as they all sat down on the couch.

"Good. Really good." Derek replied softly as he grabbed her hand. "What aren't you saying?" Michael asked with a smirk. "Uh, well Mer and I actually have some news to tell you." Derek started.

"We're engaged." He said.

The two of them watched anxiously as Carolyn and Michael's faces lit up, and smiled. "Congratulations!" They both exclaimed as they stood up and brought Derek and Meredith into hugs. "Oh, my little girl!" Carolyn said tearfully.

"So, tell us. How'd you do it son?" Michael asked. "Uh, I've been planning it for a while with Mark and yesterday...we scrubbed in together on a surgery, which she did amazing in by the way, and we met together in an elevator. I told her a lot of memories and...I asked her. And she said yes." Derek explained, unable to keep the smile off of her face.

"It was beautiful." Meredith added. "I'm so happy. For the both of you. It's been a long time coming." Carolyn said genuinely. "Thanks mom." The two of them replied.

"Let's see the ring." Carolyn requested. Meredith smiled and held her hand out to Carolyn. "Wow Derek! This is gorgeous! Did you do this yourself?" She asked in shock.

"No. Mark helped me and I got the opinions of some of our colleagues." Derek admitted.

"Nice job son. Us Shepherd men are good at that, huh?" Michael asked with a smile.

"You are." Carolyn agreed.

They chatted for a while before Meredith and Derek left. "What do you want to do now? We can call our sisters when we get home." Derek suggested. "Sounds good. My hand is so tired from carrying this huge rock on my finger." Meredith joked.

They drove home in a comfortable silence, happy that their parents approved. "Dad would walk me down the isle, right? If he didn't I'd understand cause of Addison but-"

"He would. Mer, you two have had a close bond since we were kids. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if he loved you more than me." Derek assured.

They pulled in to the driveway and walked into the apartment, with Mark laying on the couch. "How'd it go?" He asked as he sat up. "Good. They were really happy." Meredith replied with a relieved smile as she sat down on the couch across from him.

Derek walked back in with 3 beers and handed them out. "Starting early, huh?" Mark asked with a smirk.

"No. We're celebrating. Here's to a lifetime." Derek said softly, holding up his beer.

"A lifetime." Meredith parroted. "And suddenly I'm feeling like this doesn't apply to me. But what the hell? A lifetime." Mark said with a chuckle.

"Should we call the girls?" Derek asked. "Sure."

Derek made a group call with all of his sisters, and of course, they all answered. "Hey Derek, what's up?" Amelia asked. "Mer and I have some news." He said. "What's wrong? Is everything okay?" Lizzie asked in concern. "Everything's fine, Liz. We just wanted to tell you...that were engaged." He said with a smile. "Really! That's amazing you guys!" Kathleen squealed.

"We're so happy for you guys. Keep us in the loop." Nancy said. "Thank you." Meredith said. "Anytime. Love you guys." Amelia said.

Later that night, Meredith and Derek sat in the living room in each other's arms. Mark had gone out for the night, probably to pick up another girl for the night. "We're actually engaged Derek!" Meredith exclaimed. Derek chuckled. "We are." He said with a content sigh. "I love you so much Derek. Always have and always will." SHe whispered. "I love you too Meredith. Forever and always."

Hey guys! Hope you enjoyed this chapter and if you have any ideas for future chapters feel free to drop them, I really need them at the moment. Hope your all doing well!