Chapter 5

In the morning, Michael gathered up the kids and drove them to the hospital.

Michael led his kids to the nurses station. "Dr Shepherd! What can I help you with?" A nurse asked. "Hi Darlene, I'm looking for my wife and my daughter." Michael said. "Uh, room 1004." Darlene said. Michael gave a nod before ushering the kids to the room.

"Daddy." Meredith said tiredly as she saw him and her siblings enter the room. "Derek! Markie!" Meredith said with a smile. "She's on drugs right now." Carolyn Warned. "Hi Mer." The kids said. "Hi honey." Michael said as he pressed a kiss to her forehead. "How do you feel Mer?" Derek asked as he grabbed her smaller hand in his.

Carolyn and Michael knew Derek and Meredith had a special bond, and they also had a feeling that they would be togetehr when they get earlier. "I feel so good. I feel the Goodest I have ever felt. Ever." Meredith said. "That's good Mer." Derek said. "I love you." She blurted. Derek smiled. "I love you too Mer." He said softly.

"Ms Shepherd. Are you ready for surgery?" Dr wood asked as he came into the room. Meredith looked over and a worried expression came on her face. "No." She said. "I don't want to leave Derek or markie. Or mommy or daddy. Or Nancy. Or Lizzie. Or kathleen. Or Amelia." Meredith listed off.

Everyone chuckled and looked at Meredith, who had tears in her eyes. "Can Derek come with me? Or markie?" Meredith asked innocently. Dr Wood looked sympathetically at Meredith. "I'm sorry sweetie, but they can't come." He said. "I don't wanna go. I only go if Derek or markie come with me." Meredith said stubbornly. "Mer-." Michael started. "No daddy." Meredith said.

"I guess Derek or Mark can come and wait until you go to sleep in the OR." Dr Wood said. Usually he wouldn't make this exception, but he felt bad for the little girl and he liked the shepherds. "Yay! Derek!" Meredith cheered.

After Meredith said goodbye to her parents and siblings, Dr Wood led Derek to the scrub room when Meredith was getting into the OR. He scrubbed in and led Derek to the table where Meredith was. "Meredith, you're gonna take a nice nap now, okay?" Dr Wood asked. Meredith nodded. "Breathe this in." He said as he held a mask to her face. Meredith breathed in the gas and her eyes started fluttering shut. "Night night Derek." Meredith said before falling asleep.

A nurse led Derek back to the waiting room and he met with the rest of his family. "They said she should be out in about an hour." Derek said as he sat down.

An hour later, dr wood came to the waiting room. "Everything went perfectly. She's back in her room, and she should be waking shortly." Dr Wood said with a smile. "Thank you." Michael said. They all stood up and followed Dr Wood to Merediths room.

Carolyn and michael smiled when they saw the little girl sleeping peacefully on the giant bed. The kids all took seats around the room and Carolyn and michael pulled chairs up next to Merediths bed.

"Mom?" Amelia asked. "Yeah Amelia?" Carolyn asked. "Are you Merediths real mommy and daddy like you are mine?" She asked. Carolyns and michael shared a look before speaking. "No, not biologically." Carolyn said. "Then who are her mommy and daddy?" Amelia asked. "Her mommy and daddy weren't good people." Michael cut in. "Why does she call you guys mommy and daddy?" Amelia asked. "Merediths been living with us for 3 years. She's close with all of us. You guys are her sisters and brothers, even if you aren't related by blood." Carolyn explained. "Meredith is my sissy." Amelia said. The parents smiled and turned back to Meredith, who was now stirring.

Meredith groaned as she slowly opened her eyes. "Welcome back Mer." Carolyn said softly. "Hi mama. Hi daddy." Meredith said. Derek and Mark stood up and came over. "Hi Der, hi markie." Meredith whispered. "Hi Mer." They both said. Derek placed his hand on hers and squeezed. "How do you feel?" Derek asked. "Sleepy." Meredith replied with a yawn. "You lay with me?" Meredith asked. Derek looked at his parents who gave him a nod and he climbed in the bed beside her.

Meredith rotated her body so her head was resting on his chest. Derek wrapped an arm behind her neck and relaxed into the pillows.

2 days later, Meredith was released from the hospital and was able to go home. Carolyn and michael made sure she was comfortable at home, as were her sisters and brothers. Meredith was on the couch, curled up in a mountain of pillows and blankets, surrounded by her family watching her favorite show, Doc McStuffins. "I'm gonna be a doctor." Meredith announced proudly. "What kind of doctor?" Carolyn asked. "I gonna fix bellies." Meredith replied. "I'm gonna fix brains." Derek said. "I'm gonna be a plastic surgeon." Mark added. "I gonna fix brains too." Amelia said. Lizzie said she wanted to be a pediatrician, Nancy wants to be an obgyn and Kathleen wants to be a pediatrician as well.

"We're gonna have a big ole family of doctors!" Michael exclaimed with a laugh. "I'm gonna marry a doctor too. He gotta be nice. Sammy at school isn't nixe." Meredith said seriously. "No boys for you. Ever." Michael said. "Yeah, no boys." Derek said. Mark nodded in agreement. Meredith rolled her eyes and looked back at her show.

Meredith soon fell asleep, leaning against Derek. "I'm gonna take Mer up to bed." He said. He gently picked her small body up and carried her up the stairs.

He opened the door and gently placed her down in the bed and pulled the covers over her. He pressed a kiss to her forehead. "Goodnight Mer." He said quietly as he went downstairs and rejoined the rest of his family on the couch.