Chapter 38

Carolyn Shepherd was grocery shopping one day when she felt a tap on her shoulder.

"Ellis." Carolyn said with a tight smile. "Carolyn. I-I heard about the shooting. How is it?" Ellis asked awkwardly.

"How is what? The hospital?" Carolyn asked. Ellis nodded. "The hosptial is fine. Don't you want to know about your daughter?" Carolyn questioned angrily.

"I heard she was fine. I don't need to know anything else." Ellis shrugged. "She's your daughter, and she was shot. You don't want to know how's she doing?"

"As I said, I heard she was fine." Ellis repeated. "You're an awful mother." Carolyn blurted. "I am not a mother. I carried a baby. That's all."

"She's your own flesh, your own blood, I don't know how you do it. Just don't care about her. It's...disgusting." Carolyn seethed.

"I'm an excellent surgeon. I didn't have a time for a baby. So, I did what I had to. Nice talking to you, carol." Ellis said, walking away.

"It's Carolyn." She replied.

•••

Carolyn went home and entered her house. "What happened?" Michael asked, sensing her anger the minute she walked into the house.

"I ran into Ellis today at the store." Carolyn explained. "She...she knew that Mer was hurt and she didn't even care. She wanted to know about the hospital, not her own daughter. How can someone do that?" Carolyn ranted.

"She knew?" Michael asked. "Yeah. And she didn't even say anything to Meredith. How can a mother not love her own daughter?"

"I don't know, honey. But Mer doesn't need Ellis. She has you. And me. And Derek. You and I raised her." Michael said. "She makes me so mad, michael." Carolyn replied.

"I know she does. Me too." Michael replied.

•••

Meredith was doing well. It had been about 2 and a half weeks since she was discharged. She was still quite tired and was sore, but other than that she felt great.

"Can we go somewhere today?" Meredith asked with a grin. "Where would you want to go? And remember we have your check up today." Derek replied.

"Oh. Maybe after we can go on the ferry boat or sometning? I'm bored." Meredith said. "Okay. We can do that after, but we gotta go." Derek answered.

The two of them got into the car and drove to the hosptial In a comfortable silence.

They arrived about 25 minutes later and got out. Meredith was prepared for all the looks she would get. Derek wrapped an arm around her waist and held her close as they walked through the doors.

"Grey, over here." Bailey said, leading them into an exam room. "Change into this and Hop up on the table. I'll be back in a minute." She said.

Derek helped Meredith into the gown and she sat on the table. "Nervous?" He asked. "No. I feel fine." Meredith replied.

Bailey came back in and smiled. "Alright. How you feeling?" She asked. "Good. Really good. Just tired a lot and sore sometimes." Meredith replied honestly.

"That's normal. Can I see your stitches?" Bailey asked. Meredith nodded and laid down. She pulled up her gown and winced at the sight of her scar.

Derek held her hand tightly while Bailey poked around the incision. "Everything looks good Grey. No pain? Your being honest?" She asked knowingly.

"No pain. Just sore sometimes." Meredith replied. Bailey looked at Derek for confirmation, and he nodded. "Alright. I think you're good to go, Grey." Bailey continued.

"When can I come back to work?" Meredith asked. "You can start next Monday." Bailey said. "But only for a few hours at a time. And no long surgeries. You don't need to be overdoing yourself."

"Sounds good to me." Meredith said with a smile. "Alright. Get outta here." Bailey said. "Thank you." The two of them said before leaving the exam room.

••••

Derek drove to the ferryboat place and they boarded it. Meredith stood up, overlooking the rail. Derek went behind her, putting his arms securely on the railing around her.

"This is nice." Meredith sighed contently. "It is." Derek agreed. "Are you okay?" She asked. "I'm great."

"Derek." Meredith said seriously. "Really. I'm okay. I've just been worried lately. It's been a stressful few weeks. I'm relieved that you're okay. I don't know what I would do if you..." Derek trailed off, swallowing thickly.

"Hey. I'm okay. I'm alive, and I don't plan on going anywhere." Meredith said, turning in his arms and cupping his face. "I love you." She smiled.

"I love you too." He replied, pressing his lips against hers in a soft kiss.

•••

They got back home a little while later and went inside. "What do you want for dinner?" He asked. "We can just order pizza." Meredith replied. "Okay." Derek said with a laugh. Pizza was always her go to.

Meredith sat down at the kitchen table and yawned. "Tired?" Derek asked with a soft smile. Meredith nodded. "How about we go sit down until the pizza gets here on the couch?" He suggested.

Meredith nodded and the two sat down on the couch watching tv. "Criminal minds?" Derek asked. "I don't really want to...see guns." Meredith admitted. "Oh, I'm sorry Mer. I didn't even think of that."

"It's alright." Meredith replied. Derek put on a random show they liked and held Meredith in his arms.

The pizza came a little while later and they both ate happily. After eating, Meredith was exhausted, so they both decided to turn in early and go to bed.

"I love you."

"I love you too."

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this chapter and hope your doing well. Currently writing this on a plane so that's fun. Anyways, if you have any ideas for future chapters feel free to drop them!!