Chapter 7

Meredith sophomore in HS, Derek sophomore in college

Meredith came home from school one day in a very mad mood, but she was excited to see her family. Mark and Meredith stayed pretty close when he went to college, but Derek and her drifted when he went to college and got a girlfriend. Meredith reslly missed Derek. But she wasn't sure if she missed dereks friendship, or if he meant something more to her.

"I'm home!" Meredith announced as she came inside, excepting to see only Carolyn and michael in the kitchen. "Mer!" Mark exclaimed as she wrapped her in a tight hug. "What are you doing here?" Meredith asked in shock. "We had a few days off, so we decided to visit." Mark replied. "I missed you!" Meredith said. "I missed you too. You have really grown up." Mark smirked as he checked out her body.

Meredith slapped him on the arm playfully and smiled. "Meredith." A voice said from the living room. Meredith turned around and saw Derek standing there with a tall red headed girl standing next to him. "Hi Derek." Meredith said. "How are you?" Derek asked after a pause.

Carolyn and Michael sensed the tension between the two and wondered what happened between them. "I'm fine. WhT about you?" Meredith asked as she discreetly looked the red head up and down. "Good. Uh, this is my girlfriend, Addison." Derek introduced with a big smile. "Nice to meet you." Addison said with a big toothy smile.

"You too." Meredith said as she shook her hand. Meredith saw her Chanel pocket book and her expensive clothing and immediately knew she was a snob.

"How about we sit down?" Derek suggested as he put his hand on addisons back and guided her to the couch. "So Meredith, Derek tells me your a sophomore." Addison said. "Yup." Meredith replied. "How's that going?" She asked. "It's fine." Meredith said.

"So Addison, what's your family like?" Carolyn asked as she tried to get to know the girl. She didn't really like her and it's been 10 minutes. "My parents are amazing, and my dad is a really really famous surgeon. John Montgomery. And my mom is an oncologist." Addison said. "Hey Meredith, are you planning to go pre Med?" She asked suddenly.

"Probably." Meredith mumbled. She really did not like this girl. Maybe it was because she was dating Derek. "I can have my dad give you a good recommendation." Addison said. "I'm good." Meredith replied. "You obviously don't know Merediths biological mother." Amelia snorted from the other side of the couch. "Who is it?" Addison asked. Derek shifted uncomfortably and tried to change the subject, but failed. "Who is it?" She asked again. "Doesn't matter." Meredith said sternly.

"Come on, tell me!" Addison said. "It. Doesnt. Matter." Meredith replied, trying to control her anger. Addison scoffed and rolled her eyes. Mark noticed Meredith seething with anger and wrapped an arm around her shoulders.

"Mer, how's Finn?" Amelia asked, trying to change the subject. Merediths face blushed a light shade of red. "Whos finn?" Mark asked. "Whos Finn?" Derek parroted. "Finn is no one." Meredith said. "Meredith and Finn are talking and he really likes her." Amelia supplied. Meredith shot her a death glare. "When do I meet this kid?" Mark asked. "Uh, never because he is nobody." Meredith replied stubbornly. Derek opened his mouth to say something when addisons phone went off. She exited the room and took the call.

"I'm so sorry, I have to get back to school. My sorority is having a crisis." Addison said.

After she left, the family met on the couch. "What do you guys think?" Derek asked. "I don't like her." Carolyn said bluntly. Dereks brow furrowed and he frowned. "What? Why?" Derek asked in shock. "She's a total snob who think she's all that." Michael answered. "She was pretty rude too." Amelia said. "Well Meredith over here could've been more hospitable, but maybe it's because she's been spending too much time with this 'Finn' guy." Derek said angrily and jealously.

"Are you kidding me? I'm just talking to him!" Meredith yelled. "He's obviously a bad influence." Derek scoffed. "You don't even know him. Who do you think you are?" Meredith asked. Derek rolled his eyes. "I mean you shouldn't be talking. After all, you're the one who went to college and completely forgot about me after you got a girlfriend. You have no right to talk to me about Finn or anyone for that matter!" Meredith yelled. Dereks jaw dropped in shock of her words. That's when he looked at her. She had certainly grown up. Her body filled out, her chest was bigger, and she was skinny. Her jeans showed her curves perfectly, and her long honey blonde hair hung loosely on her shoulders.

Before he could get a word in, she ran up to her room and slammed the door.

"You guys really don't like her?" Derek asked. He liked Addison, and he thought she was good for him. But when he came home and saw his  former best friend all grown, he was starting to reconsider his feelings. "Derek, she's a snob." Michael said. "And Meredith clearly doesn't like her." Derek pointed out. "No, she doesn't. And you just pissed her off." Mark said. "Who's this Finn guy?" Derek asked. "She's had him over a few times to study. She says nothings going on, but I don't know." Carolyn replied. "He seems like a nice boy. He wants to be a vet." Michael replied. "A vet? She's dating a vet?" Mark asked in disgust.

"Boys, be nice. Merediths been having a hard time."  Carolyn scolded. "What do you mean?" Derek asked. "She's doing that broody teenager thing. And she's been loaded up on homework." Carolyn replied. "I'm gonna go talk to her." She added as she ascended upstairs.

"Meredith?" She asked as she pushed open the door and saw Meredith at her desk. "What?" Meredith asked. "I wanted to talk." Carolyn said calmly as she sat on the edge of the bed. "About what?" Meredith sighed. "You like Derek." She accused lightly. "I do not." Meredith lied. "You do. You don't like Addison, and you're jealous." Carolyn continued.

"I don't. He's 5 years older than me and he was practically like my brother." Meredith responded. "And now you guys drifted and you missed him more than a friend." She said. Meredith sighed. "It's just a crush. I'll get over it. Maybe I'll talk more to Finn." Meredith said. "Okay honey." Carolyn sighed. "Derek will probably be up soon." She warned before leaving the room.

Derek knocked on the door 15 minutes later. "What do you want?" Meredith snapped. "I want to apologize." Derek said. "I'm sorry for talking to you that way and for assuming Finn as a bad person." He said. "Thank you." Meredith said. "You don't like Addison, do you?" Derek asked. Meredith hesitated before shaking her head. "She may be the one for me. Anf she makes me feel happy." Derek said. "And if I want to be happy, I need you to like her." He said. "Derek, she's a total bitch." Meredith said. "Just give her a chance." Derek begged. "Whatever." Meredith said. "Now tell me about this Finn guy." Derek asked.

Meredith told Derek all about Finn, and luckily for Derek she couldn't tell Derek was seething with jealously. He didn't know why he felt jealously, but he did.

Feelings are confusing.