Chapter 4

One day after the shepherds dropped everyone off at school, Meredith started to feel sick. But she wouldn't tell anyone.

"Meredith, are you feeling okay? You like a little pale." Mrs Peterson asked. Meredith shook her head before standing up and running to the trash can to empty her stomach. The tears streamed down her face and Mrs Peterson rubbed her back while holding her hair out of the way.

Once Meredith finished hurling, she was crying and Mrs Peterson asked one of the teachers across the hall to watch the class while she escorted Meredith to the nurses office.

"What's wrong dear?" The nurse asked. "She threw up in class, she's been looking pale all day. And I'm pretty sure she has a fever." Mrs Peterson explained. The nurse grabbed the thermometer and gently rubbed it across her forehead. "103.6. You are burning up my dear." The nurse said to Meredith, who was still crying softly. "Who are her parents?" The nurse asked. "Carolyn and michael Shepherd." Mrs Peterson replied before she went back to class.

Meredith was told to lie down while the nurse called her parents. "Hello?" Carolyn asked as she answered the phone. "Hi, this is Shelly, the school nurse." Shelly said. "What's wrong?" Carolyn asked. "Meredith seems to have the flu. She threw up and has a fever of 103.6." Shelly said. "Oh no. I'll talk to my husband and we will be right there to pick her up." Carolyn said. "Okay. Thank you." Shelly said as she ended the call and looked back at Meredith. "I want my daddy. Or my mommy." Meredith cried softly. "I know. They're on their way sweetie. Just try to relax." Shelly said.

"Michael?" Carolyn asked as she called home. "Yeah honey?" He asked. "Meredith is sick at school. Can you go pick her up?" Carolyn asked. "Yes, but I'll have to bring her to the hospital. I have a surgery." Michael replied. "That's okay. I'll watch her. It's not a very busy day." Carolyn replied. "Okay. I'll be there soon. Love you." Michael said. "Love you too." Carolyn replied.

20 minutes later, michael arrived at school and walked into the nurses office. "Mr Shepherd?" Shelly asked. "That's me." Michael said. "Merediths in the back room. She might've fallen asleep." Shelly said. Michael opened the curtain and saw the little girl. "Hey Mer." Michael whispered. "Daddy." Meredith said.

Michael picked her up. "You're hot." He said as he felt her skin burn. Meredith nodded and nuzzled her head into the crook of his neck. "Not feeling too hot, huh?" He asked. Meredith shook her head. "Thanks mr Shepherd. Feel better Meredith." Shelly said.

Michael carried her to the car and caressed her back gently. Meredith groaned when Michael placed her in the backseat. "Cold." Meredith complained. "I know. Were gonna go to the hospital, mom will be with you." Michael said. Meredith nodded.

Once they arrived at the hosprial, Meredith barely made it out of the car before throwing up. Michael rubbed her back and held her hair as she crouched down and emptied her stomach in the parking lot. "Daddy." She cried. "It's okay. You're okay." Michael said.

He picked her up again and cradled her against his chest as he walked into the hospital. "Michael." Carolyn said as she walked over. "You okay Mer?" Carolyn asked softly. "She just threw up again in the parking lot." Michael explained. "Oh honey." Carolyn said. "I gotta go Mer. I have a surgery." Michael said. "No daddy." Meredith cried. "I know honey. I'll be back In a new hours." Michael said sadly as he kissed her forehead and left.

"Mama." Meredith cried. "Honey, you're burning up." Carolyn said as she shifted her in her arms and felt her forehead. Carolyn sat down in a chair next to
The other nurses and held Meredith close. "Is rhat Dr Greys kid?" A nurse asked quietly. Carolyn nodded. "Where's Ellis?" Another nurse asked. "Meredith has been with us for the last 3 years." Carolyn replied.

"Mommy." Meredith cried again as she leant over and heaved onto the floor. "It's okay. You're alright." Carolyn said. Meredith started full force sobbing in the middle of the hospital. "Hurts." Meredith cried. Carolyn stood up and quickly walked to the pediatric area.

"Nurse Shepherd, what can I do for you?" The pediatric surgeon Dr Wood asked. "My daughter has been vomiting and she has a fever of 103.6. Can you just check it out for me?" Carolyn asked. "Sure. Right this way." He said as he led her to an exam room.

Carolyn placed Meredith down on the exam today and held her hand. "Meredith, can you tell me where it hurts?" Dr wood asked softly. "Belly." Meredith said. "Can you show me?" He asked. Meredith pointed to the lower right side of her body, which happened to be right on her appendix. "I'm gonna feel around Meredith, you tell me if you feel any pain, okay?" He asked. She nodded and he gently palpated her abdomen. "Owww." Meredith cried.

"That hurts?" Dr wood asked. Meredith nodded. "I think it's appendicitis, but i need a CT to confirm." Dr wood said. Carolyn sighed and nodded. She texted Michael what was going on and that he needed to pick up the kids.

They brought Meredith to CT, and sure enough, her appendix had burst. "Meredith Shepherd isn't comign up in our records." Dr wood said. "Meredith Grey. We practically adopted her." Carolyn replied. "Ah. Meredith Grey. There you are. Uh, no allergies, and no former surgeries, but Legally I have to contact her mother for permission." Dr wood said. Carolyn frowned.

"We haven't spoken to her mother in years." Carolyn said. "I know, but we have to." Dr wood said. "She left her in a park for gods sake!" Carolyn exclaimed. "Carolyn, this is required. Believe me, if it wasn't she would be in the OR right now." Dr wood said. "I know. I'm sorry. I'll call Ellis now." Carolyn said.

"Hello?" Ellis snapped as the she picked up the phone. "Hi Ellis; my name is Carolyn Shepherd. We have your daughter." Carolyn said. "She's not my daughter, what do you want?" She asked. "Uh, Meredith has appendicitis and needs surgery. Since you are still her legal guardian, we need your permission." Carolyn explained. "Ill fax it over. What hsotpail?" Ellis asked. Carolyn was surprised she agreed. "Seattle Cruz." Carolyn replied. "Okay. Bye." Ellis said as she ended the call.

"She said she'd fax it over." Carolyn said as she came back into the room. "Okay. Good. We can't do anything until then, but I did give her a little morphine to help with the pain." Dr Wood. "Thank you." Carolyn said as she looked at Meredith, who was sleeping peacefully.

An hour later, michael and the kids arrived at home. "Where's Mer?" Derek asked. "Meredith was sick at school. Her appendix burst and she's gonna have a little surgery." Michael explained. "Surgery?" Mark asked. "It's minor." Michael added. "Mer is having surgery?" The girls asked. "Is she okay?" Mark asked. "She's fine. I picked her up from school today. You guys can visit her tomorrow before her surgery." Michael said.

The kids all nodded and went to their bedrooms, while Carolyn FaceTimed michael and talked to Meredith.