Chapter 27

Since Meredith and Derek discussed marriage and buying a house, it was all Derek could think about. He wanted Meredith to be his wife. He wanted to buy a house with her. So, he decided to do something about it.

"Mark! Can I talk to you for a second?" Derek asked as he tracked him down in the hosptial. "Uh, sure." Mark replied with confusion. Derek pulled him over to a quieter part of the hosptial.

"I need your help with something." Derek started. "What?" Mark asked. "I...I want to propose to Meredith." He blurted with a smile. "You do? That's great Shep!" Mark exclaimed. "Do you think she's ready?" Derek asked.

"Hell yeah, Derek. Have you seen the way that girl has looked at your for the past 20 years? She loves you more than anything." Mark replied. Derek nodded. "Merediths out tonight with Cristina and everyone. Will you...help me pick out a ring?" Derek asked.

"Sure. What time?" Mark asked. Derek smiled. "She'll probably leave after her shift ends, so like 5 we can meet in the lobby?" Derek asked. "Sounds good. Congratulations Derek." Mark said with a genuine smile as he gave his friend a pat on the shoulder and walked away.

Derek smiled as he walked to go find Meredith. "Hey." He said as she stood by a nearby nurses station. "Hey." She replied as she turned around and smiled. "So you're going out with Cristina tonight?" Derek asked for clarification. "I am. You doing anything?" Meredith asked. "I think Mark and I are gonna go for a beer somewhere. I'm not really sure." Derek replied.

Meredith nodded. "Okay. I gotta run. Love you." Meredith said with a smile. "Love you too." He replied as he kissed her quickly and watched her run off.

That night, Meredith said goodbye to Derek before heading off to the bar. "Bye. Love you." She said as she kissed him softly. "Love you too. Be safe. Call me if you need me." He replied as he gave her a mcdreamy smile.

Derek met up with Mark in the lobby and they went off. "What kind of ring you thinking?" Mark asked. "Nothing too big. Something...small, but something that stands out." Derek replied. "You've thought about this a lot, huh?" Mark asked with a smirk as he navigated the streets of Seattle. "Yeah. I have." Derek admitted.

They arrived at the Jewelers and got out. "Hi, how can I help you two?" An employee with the name tag Jen read. "Hi, I'm looking for an engagement room for my girlfriend. This is my buddy Mark, he's gonna help me." Derek said with a smile.

Jen led them over to a glass box and went behind the counter. "Any ideas? Diamonds, flashy, subtle..." She trailed off. "Definitely a diamond. But not too flashy, subtle." Derek replied. "How about this one?" Jen suggested as she held up a ring. Too flashy. Too big. "Uh; not that one." Derek said.

Then they went to the next ring. To the next. And the next. Until finally Derek got the one he wanted. "That one." He said as he pointed to the ring. It was a diamond ring, with a tint of lavender in it. It wasn't very big, but it was just right. "That's perfect." Derek said with a huge smile. "That's good Shep." Mark complimented.

"Can I get something engraved in it?" He asked. "Of course. It'll be additional cost, but sure." Jen replied. "I'll take it." Derek said. Derek paid the cost and gave her his information. "The ring should be able to pick up in a week or two. We will contact you. Have a nice day sir." Jen said with a friendly smile.

Mark and Derek left with huge success. They drove back to Merediths apartment and Derek quickly hid the ring in marks side table. "You think she'll like it?" Derek asked as they sat down on the couch and cracked a beer. "She'll love it derek. That ring was perfect for Meredith." Mark replied. "Now the question is when are you gonna pop the question?" He asked.

Derek sighed. "Soon...I really want to. Soon." He replied. "Good." Mark said.

Meredith arrived home a few hours later and she was a little tipsy. "Hi Derek, hi Mark!" She said, unnecessarily loud. "Woah, how much did you have to drink?" Derek asked with an amused smile as he led her down to the couch. "Not too much." She slurred. "You want to sleep here in in the bed?" Derek asked softly.

"Here. Cant move." Meredith mumbled. Derek and Mark chuckled. "I'll turn it. Try not to hurl on the couch Grey." Mark said before walking into his room. Derek sat on the small couch beside her and wrapped his arms around her. "Love you." She mumbled. "Love you too." He replied.

Hey guys! Hope you enjoyed this chapter and if you have any ideas for future chapters feel free to drop them! Hope your all doing well!