Chapter 36

After about a week and a half in the hospital, Meredith was ready to be discharged. "Ready to go home Grey?" Bailey asked, walking in. "Very." Meredith said, swinging her legs over the side of the bed.

Derek helped ease her into the wheelchair. "I really have to sit in this?" She asked in disgust. "Grey, you were shot a little over a week ago. Sit down." Bailey said with a roll of her eyes.

Meredith was seated with a pillow clutched to her abdomen to cushion it. "Thank you dr Bailey." Meredith said genuinely. "Did my job, Grey. Go Home. If I see you back here before 2 weeks I'll kick your ass. Unless it's a check up." Bailey said.

"Thank you. So much dr Bailey." Derek replied. "Go." Bailey said with a smile.

Derek took a deep breath before pushing his fiancée out of her room where she had been living for the past week and a half.

They got to the car and faced challenge number 1; getting into the car. He opened the door You want me to lift you?" Derek asked. Meredith shook her head and grabbed the door handle, feeling the tug at her incision already.

"Yeah." She said with a frown. Derek lifted her up very gently and put her into the car seat. "You're still recovering. You're going to have to get used to me helping you." He whispered before pressing a kiss to her forehead.

Derek got into the drivers seat and started the car. "You okay?"

"I'm good." Meredith replied as the car started forward.

•••

Derek arrived at the apartment and went to Merediths side to help her In. "Good thing we have an elevator." Meredith chuckled.

Derek scooped her into his arms and entered the building.

He eventually got the two of them into the room and put Meredith down on the couch gently. "You gonna be okay if I run and get some bags from the car?" Derek asked.

"I'll be fine Derek." Meredith replied. Derek nodded and ran out to the car. Meredith had to admit that she loved his protectiveness.

Derek came back minutes later and put the bags down in their room. "You want a-a sandwich or sometning?" Derek asked. "Can you bring me your computer? And then sit down with me?"

Dereks brow furrowed but he did what he asked.

"Why do you want your computer?" Derek asked as he sat down next to her and handed her the device. "Because we're looking for houses."

"Houses?" Derek asked in surprise. "Yes, houses. We talked about it before I got shot and were getting married, so I think it's time." Meredith replied.

Derek nodded. "What kind of house are we looking for rhen?" He asked with a smile. "I just want a bathtub that's deep enough for me to sit in."

"How many floors?" She asked. "Well, we want a garage, right, a main floor. Then maybe just a second floor with our room and others." Derek said. "Basement with that?" Meredith asked as she put filters on the house sections.

"You have a lot of crap, so yeah." Derek smirked. Meredith smacked his stomach.

The two of them looked through houses for a while. "How about this one?" Derek asked. "3 floors, garage/basement, first floor, and second floor. It's in budget. Has a nice backyard."

"It looks good. Look at the tub!" Meredith exclaimed, clicking through images. "Did we just agree on a house?" Derek smiled. "I think we did."

"Are we buying it?" Meredith asked. "I think we should. What do you say?" Derek questioned. "Let's do it."

•••

A few hours later, Meredith was asleep after taking her pain meds. They had purchased the house, and were going to view it for the first time in a week and a half, if Meredith was feeling up to it.

Derek carried Meredith up to bed and put her down gently. Right as he left their bedroom, his mother called.

"Derek, how is Meredith?" Carolyn asked through the phone. "She's okay. Sleeping." Derek replied. "And how are you?"

"I'm okay. Mer and I just bought something big. Guess." Derek said excitedly. "A dog?" Carolyn guessed. "No."

"A....new car?" She asked. "No." Derek answered. "I give up."

"Just one more guess, mom."

"Derek Christopher Shepherd, just tell me already!" Carolyn exclaimed. "We bought a house." He said, unable to resist the smile creeping on to his face.

"You what?" Carolyn asked happily. "Yeah. Just now." Derek replied. "Oh, that's great honey! Michael, come here." Carolyn exclaimed calling her husband over.

"What's up?" Dereks dad asked in the background. "Meredith and Derek bought their first house." She said. "Really? That's great. How is Mer, by the way?"

"She's good, dad." Derek replied. "Glad to hear it. How big is the house?" Michael asked. "Hopefully big enough for my future grandchildren." Carolyn smiled.

Derek chuckled. "Basement/garage, first floor, and a second floor. It's big enough, if we decide that time comes mom, don't worry." Derek replied.

"Good." Carolyn said. "I'll be by tomorrow with groceries, by the way." She added.

"You don't have to do that. I can do it." Derek said. "Derek, I'm a mother. My daughter is hurt and you need to take care of her. I'll be by probably around noon." Carolyn insisted.

"Okay mom. Thank you." Derek said as he laughed. "We'll let you go now, dear. We love you and tell Meredith to call us when she feels up to it." Carolyn said.

"I will. Thank you guys love you too." Derek said before hanging up the phone.

He went back upstairs to check on Meredith and found her still fast asleep. Everything was okay.

Hey guys! I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and hope your doing well. If you have any ideas or suggestions for future chapters feel free to drop them, I use them usually. I hope you all are having a good day. Happy Greys day!!!