Chapter 16

The next day, Meredith and Derek got up and went to work. They drove in together and parted ways. "Grey, your with Burke today on floor 1. I know you want more neuro, but others need some time too." Bailey said. Meredith nodded and went off to find Burke.

Meanwhile, Derek was prepping for his craniotomy when a very peppy Izzie Stevens approached him. "Dr Shepherd! I'm your intern for the day!" She said
Happily. Derek nodded. "We have a craniotomy in a few hours. Prep the patient and then chart." Derek replied.

He always liked when Meredith was on his service. Izzie nodded and hurried off. He walked up to the nurses station and looked up when he saw Dr Burke walking hastily towards him. "Shepherd." He said formally as he stood beside him. "Burke." Derek said. "Who's your intern today?" Burke asked. "Dr Stevens." He replied. "Ah. She's good. I have Grey, and I haven't seen her all morning. Incompetent." Burke scoffed.

Derek frowned. "She's not incompetent." He said firmly. "Why are you defending a dumb intern?" Burke asked sharply. "She's not dumb." Derek argued. Around the corner, Meredith was slowly about to approach Burke when he saw the two men arguing.

"Just because she's Ellis greys daughter doesn't mean she's a surgeon!" Dr Burke yelled. "Who do you think you are? You don't even know her!" Derek yelled as he seethed with anger. "Ah. And there she is!" Burke said loudly as he noticed the petite woman walking slowly towards him. "And where have you been, huh?" He asked angrily.

"I was trying to find you. Bailey said you'd be on the 1st floor." Meredith replied quietly. "You should've used your brain you dumb moron!" Burke screamed. At this point everyone was watching the scene. "Burke! Shut the hell up and walk away!" Derek but in. "Why? You think I'm gonna keep letting you fuck your intern?" He asked. Merediths face turned beat red and she looked down at her shoes.

"Burke-." Derek started, trying to contain his anger. "Derek and I have known each other since we were kids." A quiet, shaky voice said. "My mom left me at a playground by myself and the shepherds took me in. I grew up with them. You have no right to talk to Me or Derek like that." Meredith said, her voice rising as her anger grew.

"Slut." Burke scoffed. Derek lost it. He pulled his arm back and threw a punch right at Burke's face, sending him to the ground. "That's it! Shepherd, Burke, Grey, to my office, NOW!" Richard yelled as he saw the fight. Derek came over to Mer and put his hand on the small of her back and walked with her. "Are you okay?" Meredith asked quietly. "I'm fine." Derek said, still seething with anger.

They got to the chiefs office and sat at the table, Richard at the head of it. "What just happened?" Richard asked. "He's fucki-." Burke started. "He's insulti-." Derek cut in. Meredith stayed quiet. "One at a time. Shepherd first." Richard said sternly. "Dr Burke was insulting one of our finest interns and then humiliated her in front of the whole hospital." Derek said calmly. "I heard that from my office. Burke, you go." Richard said.

"Shepherd has been fucking her. It's obvious. And he's favoring her, have you seen how much time she gets on neuro?" Burke scoffed. "Actually Dr Burke, greys resident has been very impressed with her and has allowed her to have extra time on neuro. And as for the other part, Meredith, care to explain?" Richard asked.

Meredith blushed slightly before speaking. "Dr- Derek and I have known each other since we were kids. I grew up with him and his family and we recently started dating." Meredith said softly. "Okay. Meredith, I'm sure you aren't doing it to get surgeries, correct?" The chief asked. "No." Meredith answered. "I domt see what the big deal is then Burke. I think your way out of line." Richard said.

"But-." Burke started. "No buts. You publicaly humiliated one of my best interns and the best neurosurgeon we have. Your suspended for two weeks." The chief said with a scowl. "Grey is off of your service. Stanton will take over and stevens will now be with him, and Grey you will be with Shepherd today." Richard added. Burke scoffed and stood up, slamming the door behind him as he left.

"I trust you two to keep this professional." Richard said. "We will chief. Sorry about this." Derek said. "We're really sorry." Meredith chimed in. "It's okay. Burke is a....piece of work to say the least. Have a good day you guys." He said. Meredith and Derek left in shock as to what just happened.

Derek quickly pulled Meredith into an on call room and sat her down. "I'm so sorry that just happened." He said as he put an arm around her and pulled her close. "It's okay." Meredith said quietly. "No, it's not. You know I love you, right?" Derek asked softly with a smile. Meredith nodded. "Okay. Now let's go kick some ass in this surgery we now have." Derek said as he tipped her chin up and softly pressed his lips against hers.

A little while later, Meredith and Derek were in the OR doing a craniotomy. From the gallery, Dr Bailey watched the two interact. After the whole thing In the middle of the hospital today, she found out some things and now understood the trust developed between Meredith and Derek. She never realized why they worked so well with each other, but she now knew. As she watched her young intern and attending work together, she actually hoped they would make it.

After surgery, Meredith and Derek went home. Meredith was happy to fall asleep in his warm, safe arms. "I love you so much." He whispered. "I love you too." Mereditj replied as she nestled further into his chest.

Hey guys!! Hope you enjoyed this chapter, leave a vote and a comment if you want lol. Hope everyone's doing well ❤️❤️ also big thanks to @ivestrash for the idea!!