Chapter 39

A few days later, Meredith was finally able to go back to work. "Mer, please take it easy today." Derek pleaded as they got ready.

"I will. I don't think baileys going to let me out of her sight." Meredith replied with a laugh. "Promise me." Derek said quietly.

"I promise. Now let's go, I don't want to be late on my first day back." She said.

•••

They got to work and Meredith rushed in. "Grey. You're in the clinic today." Bailey said. "What? Why? Bailey I'm fine." Meredith insisted.

"Grey, I told you you were taking it easy today. Maybe I'll let you scrub in on my appy. Now go." Bailey ordered.

Meredith rolled her eyes but made her way to the clinic.

"Welcome back, dr Grey. How are you feeling?" A nurse asked with a warm smile. "I'm good, thanks for asking. Do we have any patients?" Meredith replied.

"Nope. We don't get much here anymore." The nurse replied. Meredith sighed. It's gonna be a very long day.

•••

Derek was back at work full time, and he was constantly worrying about Meredith. Seeing her, on the ground, bleeding, ran through his mind constantly.

"Shepherd?" Bailey asked, snapping him out of his thoughts. "I'm sorry, what?" Derek asked. "We're you listening to me?"

"I-I'm a little distracted today. I'm sorry." He apologized. "Because Grey is back?" Bailey guessed. Derek nodded. There was no point in denying it.

"Tell me about it." She said. "I just- every time I close my eyes shes on the ground bleeding. And I can't stop worrying about her." He admitted.

"Derek, she's not made of glass anymore." Bailey said softly. "She was shot, she was bleeding, but now she's okay. You don't have to worry anymore. And for the record, she's in the pit right now and I made a nurse keep an eye on her."

"Thank you." Derek said softly. "And Shepherd? You should tell her about this." Bailey said before walking away.

•••

Bored. Meredith was bored out of her mind. She had two patients; a diabetic toe ulcer and a sprained finger. "Grey, let's go. You're scrubbing in with me." Bailey said.

Meredith eagerly left the pit and followed her into the scrub room. "You ready?" Bailey asked. "Very." Meredith replied. "You're up for this?"

"Yes. Did Derek say something to you?" Meredith asked, following her into the OR. "10 blade." Bailey ordered, ignoring merediths question.

"Dereks worried about you." Bailey said minutes later. "I'm completely fine. He doesn't have a reason to be worried." Meredith replied.

"Okay, but he's Derek Shepherd. And you know that he worries about you constantly, no matter what. Derek is very protective of you and I think he needs you to tell him to not worry." Bailey explained.

"I have multiple times." Meredith said.

"Grey, men like Shepherd don't come around very often. It's good that he worries about you. But what he said earlier, he needs assurance." Bailey said.

"I'll talk to him at home." Meredith said. "Good. Now, close up." Bailey ordered, snapping back into doctor mode.

•••

After the surgery, Merediths day was over. She was on a very light schedule. Derek almost happened to be off at the same time, so they met up in the lobby.

"Hey." Derek said, kissing her softly. "Hi." She replied. "How was your day? Feeling good?" He asked.

"I'm great. Hungry." Meredith replied, grabbing his hand as they walked out together. "No pain?" Derek asked. "No pain." Meredith said.

They got into the car. "How was that appy?" Derek asked as he drove. "It was good. Went by so quick, but I missed surgery." Meredith answered. "Where are we going?" She asked suddenly, noticing the unfamiliar scenery.

Derek said nothing and pulled into her favorite fast food drive thru. "McDonald's." Meredith said happily.

Derek ordered her food and they went home. Once they arrived, they entered the house and sat down at the kitchen table. "When do we get to see the house?" Meredith asked.

"I think a few days. The realtor said she'd get in touch with us." Derek replied. "Okay." Meredith said. "How's that burger?" He asked with a smirk.

Meredith may be small as ever, but she could out eat him any day. "Really good. Want a bite?" She offered. Derek took the burger and took a small bite before making a face. "I'll stick with my salad."

•••

That night, the two of them sat on the couch, curled up in each other's arms watching some tv. "I talked to Bailey today." Meredith said, watchimg his reaction closely.

"Yeah?" Derek asked. "She told me you were really worried about me going back to work."

"I am." He replied quietly. "Derek. I'm okay. I survived. We survived." She said, cupping his face in her hands. Meredith guided his hand to her chest. "Feel that?" She asked.

Derek nodded. "I'm alive. And I'm not going anywhere. We're going to get married, and maybe start a family of your own." Meredith said warmly. Derek nodded and felt her heartbeat for a little while longer before pulling away.

"I'm sorry- just every time I close my eyes I see you on the ground, bleeding." He whispered, as if he were ashamed. "Maybe you should talk to someone." She suggested lightly.

"Yeah. Are- I mean, are you okay?" Derek asked. "I still get scared sometimes. But I'm okay." She responded. "I'll talk to someone." He said. "Good. Now, let's get some sleep." She replied as she stood up.

Minutes later, they were in bed, wrapped in each other's arms. "Love you." She mumbled into his chest. "I love you too."

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this chapter and hope your doing well. If you have any ideas for future chapters feel free to drop them! Hope you all are taking care of yourselves.