Someone will love you

Summary: Tony and Steve break up. Tony finds it hard to let Steve go.

Warnings: angst with happy ending.

Song: Sorry by Halsey. Lyrics in italics.

"Steve open the door, we can talk about this," Tony pleaded.

He stood behind his boyfriend's, or ex-boyfriend's, door. Steve had locked himself in his room and refused to come out.

"Go away Stark," Steve growled back.

It hurt to lose Tony, but he knew it was for the best. He knew their relationship was never going to get far and they had to break up. But it still hurt.

"Just leave me alone," Steve replied, his voice breaking.

***

They had broken up one week ago and Tony knew it was his fault. He would never be able let go of Steve. But Steve had moved on.

He knew there was only one way he could let go of Steve. He had it all planned out and he was going to do it, no matter how much it hurt to let go.

It was noon and all the Avengers were around the Tower doing there own things. Steve ad Bucky were on the couch watching old movies when Tony approached them.

"Sorry to interrupt but could I borrow Steve for a few?" He asked playing with the hem of his shirt as the two super soldiers stared at him.

"Tony if this is about us-" steve started but Tony cut him off.

"It's not, I just need to tell you something alone, please."

Steve gave in and stood up. Without saying anything Tony walked out of the room, Steve following. Tony didn't say anything as he led his ex-boyfriend through the music room. His hands were shaking and his heart threatened to break out of his rib cage.

He sat down on the bench in front of the piano and Steve stood in beside of him. He placed his hands on the keys and started to play even with his shaky hands.

Then he started to sing. Steve had never had him sing so it came as a surprise.

I've missed your calls for months it seems,
don't realize how mean I can be.

'Cause I can sometimes treat the people,
that I love like jewelry.

'Cause I can change my mind each day,
I didn't mean to try you on.

By I still know your birthday,
and you're mother's favorite song.

So I'm sorry to my unknown lover,
sorry that I can't believe,
that anybody ever really,
starts to fall in love with me.

Sorry to my unknown lover,
sorry I could be so blind.

Didn't mean to leave you,
and all of the things that we had behind.

I run away when things are good,
and never really understood,
the way your eyes on me,
in ways that no one ever could.

And so it seems I broke your heart,
my ignorance has struck again.

I failed to see it from the start,
and tore you open till the end.

And I'm sorry to my unknown lover,
sorry that I can't believe,
that anybody ever really,
starts to fall in love with me.

Sorry to my unknown lover,
sorry I could be so blind,
didn't mean to leave you,
all of the things that we had behind.

And someone will love you.

Someone will love you.

But someone isn't me.

Someone will love you,

someone will love you,

But someone isn't me.

Steve could hear all the pain, hurt and loneliness in Tony's voice. He had never seen Tony like this. He was always good at hiding his emotions but now he was letting everything show.

Sorry to my unknown lover,
sorry that I can't believe,
that anybody ever really,

starts to fall in love with me.

Sorry to my unknown lover,
sorry I could be so blind,
didn't mean to leave you,
and all of the things that we had behind.

And someone will love you.

Someone will love you.

But someone isn't me.

Bucky was getting tired of waiting. After he asked FRIDAY where Tony and Steve were he headed to the music room. When he walked in he only got the last words of the song.

Someone will love you,
someone will love you,

But someone isn't me.

Steve and Tony looked up at him. He immediately felt uncomfortable.

"Sorry I was just wondering what was taking you guys so long," he quickly apologized.

Tony stood up and walked up to him.

"Take care of Steve for me," He said before leaving the room.

Tony ran to his room and curled himself into a ball on his bed. It felt good to let go of Steve but he felt alone now. He had no one to love him, no one to love.

Before he could let himself cry to oblivion his phone started ringing. He didn't want to pick it up but he figured it was better than crying his eyes out.

Without checking the caller ID he answered it on speaker.

"Hey Mr. Stark. You didn't have to pick up. Karen was just calling you because I was grazed by a knife during patrol," the person on the other end of the line was quick to say.

It was Peter. Tony hadn't talked to him since Germany. But he still had the AI in the suit he gave him call him when Peter was hurt.

"It's fine Peter. But you're suit alerts me every time you get serious injuries. So, mind telling me what happened?" He asked, already feeling better.

"He has two stab wounds and one gun shot wound," Peter's AI said.

"Karen you snitch," Peter said then groaned in pain.

"Hold on I'm coming thenwere going to have a talk about not being more careful during your patrol," Tony said getting up.

"Whaat? I'm careful. I'm the most careful kid there is. I should get the Nobel prize for being the most careful kid in the world," Peter said drowsily.

Tony chuckled. This kid really was something.

1006: words.