Promise

Summary: Tony made a promise that he didn't keep.

Warnings: sad, after Tony's snap.

Half the universe had gone. Tony had been saved from dying on a ship and had stayed at the Avengers compound with the remaining few.

It was a bit awkward between Tony and Steve for a while but soon they had warmed up to each other. Their relationship grew with time they started dating three years after the snap.

They kept it to themselves though.

They had made a promise to each other that neither of them would leave, that they would grow old together. A promise shouldn't be broken.

But Tony broke that promise. He sacrificed himself to save the universe. Anyone else could have done it. Someone who wasn't human and could have handled the power.

There's always another way.

Tony used to tell him that every time he did something that could get himself killed. But he didn't find another way. He sacrificed himself for the rest of the universe.

Steve could still remember what he had told Tony what had to be a decade ago.

"Your not the type to lie down on a wire and let the others climb over you."

He was wrong. How he wished he wasn't. He wished Tony was still selfish and didn't snap, didn't sacrifice himself for the universe. He wished the love of his life would have left that for someone else, someone more powerful who could handle the power.

But he hadn't and now he was gone. No matter how many wished Steve made, no matter how much he wanted to wake up and find out it was all a bad dream; Tony was gone and that wasn't going to change.

Steve sat on the bed he had shared with Tony for one and a half years. Tears slipped out of his eyes and he didn't bother to wipe them.

"Sir, Mr. Parker is here per your request," FRIDAY said.

She seemed to sound more robotic than normal. Steve guessed it was because she was also grieving the death of her creator or he was hearing his own things.

"Tell him I'll be right there," Steve said his voice cracking a bit.

He got up and went to the joined bathroom. He washed away the tears from his face but his red eyes clearly showed that he had been crying.

He left his room and went to the common room. Peter was seated on the couch in front of the TV. He was fiddling with his badge waiting for Steve.

"Hey kid," Steve said softly.

Peter jumped in surprise and faced Steve. His eyes were bloodshot and he had bags under them. The clothes he was wearing were old and a size too big for him.

Steve's heart broke even more seeing the kid like this.

"I-I need to get to the or-orphanage before curfew at seven," Peter said.

Steve sat next to him and placed his big hand on top of Peter's small shaking ones.

"Before Tony," Steve paused with a sigh, Peter understood, "He made me promise that if anything happened to him I would protect you and I'm going to keep that promise."

"I would like to adopt you. I know we hardly know each other but I think with time we can get to know each other."

Peter looked up at him with teary eyes. He threw himself around him and hugged him. Steve was startled but hugged back.

"Y-you would d-do that for me," Peter cried.

"Of course kid," Steve said tears filling his eyes.

Maybe together they could help each other through nightmares and lonely nights. They had both lost Tony but at least they had each other.

607: words.